FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The Un-opened (contribute your pictures)

<<

Neilau

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: The Un-opened (contribute your pictures)

JM26

What would be the function of a rivet there?

ie. what is being riveted?

Thanks.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

flywheel

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Two more...
2014-02-16%2013_54_45A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Flywheel,

They are dropping left and right under your picks!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:10 pm

IMG_1230.JPG

Got these two today, American A1100 and Master 150. No luck with either of them yet. Not ready for those serrated spools in the American just yet, but it sure is fun to try to pick. I hope to have the Master open tonight yet though. Got an Abus 55/40 and American A5200 coming in the mail next week!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 pm

jupiter11d7 wrote:Got these two today, American A1100 and Master 150.....

Both great locks Colby! You should find some fun AND frustration in both.
For me, those are classics & actually played a big role in my learning curve.

The 150 will likely have one weak serrated driver (usually in the first chamber),
and the other four drivers will be spools. Something like this 140 shown here.

I can't say enough about the Americans. I'd go so far as to say that I honed my picking
skills using just those little bastards, lol. Something I wrote on them if you have the time.

p.s. when you get your hands on the 5200, keep in mind you can pick them counter-clockwise
if you find you're having no luck picking clockwise. LSA illustrates it here in this video.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

flywheel

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Nice locks Jupiter. I have a few green Americans myself. What is the difference between Master 140 and 150? I have two 140s and have opened them.

2014-03-21 17.52.20.jpg

Above are the remaining unopened of my collection. I can see serrated key pins in the green Americans but not in the other two American locks. Since my limited tension tools bind in those keyways I have not tried to open them. The other locks pictured refuse to do anything for me. I am currently in a slump. The locks pictured, and some others that I have only opened once, either click solidly all the time (but stay closed) or seemingly never set (and stay closed).

Maybe it's my technique or concentration? I usually pick while watching tv or Netflix. Or it could be the delirium tremens, but that is a different conversation...
That being said, beer me!

Take it easy :hbg:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:38 pm

flywheel wrote:Nice locks Jupiter. I have a few green Americans myself. What is the difference between Master 140 and 150? I have two 140s and have opened them.

One has a 4 in it, the other has a 5 in it. :P

flywheel wrote:
2014-03-21 17.52.20.jpg

Above are the remaining unopened of my collection. I can see serrated key pins in the green Americans but not in the other two American locks. Since my limited tension tools bind in those keyways I have not tried to open them. The other locks pictured refuse to do anything for me. I am currently in a slump. The locks pictured, and some others that I have only opened once, either click solidly all the time (but stay closed) or seemingly never set (and stay closed).

The 'security' padlock is a Harbor Freight padlock. The pins will feel almost greasy when they are binding due to the plastic (delrin) shells. The key pins look like a melted spool pin, so they will have slight counter-rotation. It will rake open easier than with a pick.

Here are the Harbor Freight pins...

The new-style body Master padlock (second from the right on the top row of your picture) has no security pins. It is all about tension - try lightly 'bouncing' the pressure on the tension wrench. That and pick it with just enough tension to lightly bind the pins, then increase tension once none of the pins have any give to them - the lock is picked, and you just need to overcome the tension of the return spring.

Good luck,

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jupiter11d7

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 am

Got a few new locks in the mail today. For now they join my American 1100, my only other unopened lock.
IMG_1256.JPG

Got a BEST (no key), Abus 80TI/50, American 1305, American 5260, and a Wilson Bohannan. Guess I better start slaying these :armed:
<<

escher7

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:12 pm

Just noticed the master style lock that Gordon opened by cutting off the rivet heads. That is why I would never use the stacked padlocks - I found out at 12 years old that a dremel would open them like a deck of cards.
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 pm

escher7 wrote:Just noticed the master style lock that Gordon opened by cutting off the rivet heads. That is why I would never use the stacked padlocks - I found out at 12 years old that a dremel would open them like a deck of cards.

This will fix them.

Weld is a bit sloppy but I had only just got my welder. Did this years ago after discovering the same thing.

Ground a small grove first then welded it.

Side one

Weld 2.jpg

Side 2

Weld 1.jpg
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Oldfast

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:57 pm

Neilau wrote:...This will fix them.

Way to use your noggin' Neilau. I like it. Simple & effective.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Great idea, Welding the lock together.
Makes you wonder why the lock factory doesn't do it. :agree:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Most laminated locks are easy to disassemble in that manner. However, you can not simply take apart a Commando padlock by shearing or cutting off the rivets. The rivets are installed with tons of pressure, then the rivets are set. And each laminated layer is shaped so it locks onto the layers above and below it, giving even more strength. And the holes are tapered, so the head of the rivet is bolstered by being squeezed wider in the hole.

Try it some time. :-D

Gordon
<<

flywheel

Post Fri May 16, 2014 3:27 pm

Finally, a new lock picked open! Received some Peterson picks and a few padlocks for my birthday.
The lock below continually teased me with what seemed like ten false sets.

Have a nice day!
<<

flywheel

Post Mon May 26, 2014 10:27 pm

One of three green American locks open! Unbeknownst to me, I might have opened this a couple times today. What I thought was a false set was actually the final pin clearing the shear line. I was using a flimsy tension tool with a lot of springiness that really needs to be cranked to turn the plug.
Of the three similar green Americans I chose this one since it had the most even bitting. Let's see if this success can be duplicated with the other Un-opened...
:hbg:
PreviousNext

Return to Your Lock Collections