FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"XPUZMAG" Lock- Creative new lock design! (Pics + Video)

<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:02 pm

"XPUZMAG" Lock- Creative new lock design! (Pics + Video)

Hey Guys,

Recently got to chat with the designer of the XPUZMAG lock and he has allowed me to make a video and demo the lock!

When I first saw this thing I was really baffled. It was only after playing around with the lock and asking some questions that I was able to finally understand everything that as going on.

It's main security feature is a rotating face-plate with 23 pin chambers. These line up with 23 pin chambers behind it. Only 6 of the 23 holes operate the lock, but all the chambers have pins. The large number of pin holes serve to misdirect anyone trying to pick the lock to pick "incorrect" pin chambers. The rotating face-plate is meant to frustrate and make it hard to keep track of the pins. Additionally, some false pins can possibly over-set and block the shear-line.

Tensioning this lock also seems like it could be a pain as well. It may require a specially made tool.

What do you guys think?

Video:

[Time stamps are in the video description]

Pictures:

The manufacturer has authorized me to sell this lock if anyone wants to pick one up. Just send me a PM if you are interested. Price is $125 USD. Worldwide Shipping is $9.99.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: "XPUZMAG" Lock- Creative new lock design! (Pics + Video)

:shock:

Well, ain't that a fancy little gadget. :) Better have large pockets to carry around the key. Heaven help you if both your home and your workplace use the same kind of key. Or work having three different keys you need. What is the diameter of the key?

Seems that master keying would be a cinch to do.

Tensioning does not seem that it would be too bad if you made your own tension wrench. Tell you what, Marduk... Send me one for free, and I'll make you a tension wrench for it! ;) (Well, can't blame me for trying!)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Haha~ I wish I could Gordon! :D. Maybe next time I am in the states I can let you borrow mine to experiment with.

I will offer any Keypicking VIPs free shipping though! ( VIP = Previous customer or any member with positive feedback + at least 25 comments).

The key diameter is 25mm across.
<<

whizdumb

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:16 pm

This is a very interesting design. Unfortunately, I believe the fatal flaw is going to be ease of use. First you must consider the awkwardness of the key that you'll have to carry around. The "indexing" pin on the key will be difficult to line up in say a dimly lit area. Distinguishing between keys would also be a hassle. The little blue key cover can be lost very quickly. Finally (as a matter of my own personal opinion), I would have to put this lock on par with a maxxis style lock. While both of these locks are very pick and manipulation resistant, the overly proprietary nature of the mechanism itself will lend the lock to not be widely accepted and used. Just my $0.02.

Nevertheless, cool video and I can't wait to see someone pick it.

Happy Picking,
Whizdumb
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:09 pm

I Would not stock this item - just yet as the flaw is the construction ie: body of the lock

it looks die cast and this metal is ok for cam locks and furniture locks - but would not want it on my front door in case of a fire

zinc alloy - melts very quickly and as low melting point - far too many locks are being made of this as a low cost alternative - than milling good old brass or steel

if the body of the lock is found to be cast - stay well clear ! as for security 2 minutes to melt this - no skill required if cast from zinc alloy
<<

scudo

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Is that a clip that holds the rotating disc in place? could that be prised off and the guts emptied out?

Nice idea but too fiddly for practical use.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Are the 6 active pins always in the same location? For every lock?
Could mark the active holes or cover the non active holes.
6 pin tubular lock with irregular pin spacing.
Some sort of spanner wrench for tension, using the holes of the active pins, but not covering the holes completely.
I believe this lock will soon be picked.
Wonder who will post it first?!
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Marduk, that is an amazing lock, I don't care what others say. The design reminds me of a Van Lock with that key. However I like the idea of the floating face plate and extra false pins. I have to wonder though how hard it would be to drill, is that face plate hardened? Like others have said, if indeed the housing is cast zinc, I would think it wouldn't take a whole lot to have it cast in a better grade of aluminum or a bronze for not much more in cost. One thing I will say is that, it kind of makes me sad to think that all these new lock designs are being designed overseas, when originally all the latest ideas were coming from Great Britton and the good ole USA. Thanks for sharing all these locks, I do enjoy seeing them none the less. Mark
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Still think it is cool, would like to play with one. Maybe they could have colored peg inserts you could put in the bow of the key to identify it, like blue would be your house, green could be work, or whatever you wanted to designate it as.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:34 pm

When do they come out with a padlock version? :-)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:30 pm

Cool design, I like the way it has been designed specifically to defeat picking. It takes the rotation to be correct before anything would even start to be picked...but the only way you're going to know if it is rotated right is by picking it! Mix that in with false pins and it becomes a very tricky little bugger.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:00 pm

I like it! I see the potential here especially for apt buildings, hotels or schools where a large # of locks are required. As mentioned it seems the master keying would be a snap and the possible combinations extraordinary. Maybe some one can crunch the numbers.

ETA: Didn't watch the vid still getting 505'd
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:58 pm

Thanks for your comments guys! I will be sure to send them to the designer so he gets your feedback.

The really interesting thing about locks made here in Taiwan is that when a designer has an idea (even if it is a bit odd) they can go get it manufactured relatively fast, even if only on a small scale.

I think that's the reason I can find so many interesting and unique designs here. There are just less barriers to getting things produced~ so you can actually get your hands on some new creative stuff.
Who knows all the cool lock designs that have simply stayed in peoples minds since they didn't have the resources to get prototypes made.

It's definitely true that this lock can be improved, but this the first "generation" of the lock so I guess that's not a surprise.

This seems to be an example of the designer being so concerned about his idea just coming to life that he focused less on things like convenience / ease of use.

I got to give them credit for thinking outside the box though!

P.S. I don't think they are currently planning on making any padlocks, but that would be damn cool!!
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:57 pm

Some design ideas:

Key,
A spring loaded retractable shroud over the pins instead of capm.
More of a thumb turn bow with colour inserts for identification.

Lock:
Other than hardening the cylinder as already mentioned possibly miniaturising the entire assembly. I imagine he's already working on that.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:37 am

I agree!

The key could definitely use a make over!

I also think the lock could benefit greatly from some sort of dust cover/weather protection if it's going to be used outside.
Next

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock