FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Keying your old Yale & Towne padlocks

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:13 am

Re: Keying your old Yale & Towne padlocks

I know about the models that have the screw retainer. This lock does not have that. No screw. I had a thoiught in the night. Maybe I need to pick it CCW to get the pawles to release. I'm going to try that this morning and see if that is the answer. I'll let you know soon.
Steve
ps: I saw the photos you set and they said that was a 850 lock. It may be and older one but it is not made like the one I have.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Re: Keying your old Yale & Towne padlocks, problem solved

After much effort, I found my problem with the YALE padlock.
First, it turned out that if the core was picked CCW, the pawls would move apart and a tool could be used to push the core out just a bit and the pawls would be released and they could be removed.
My big problem was that my lock did not fit well inside. It was quite hard to pick CCW as the core would bind up. After getting it started, I was able to work the core until it worked better and would turn enough to make the pawls move apart. I then found that I had to drive my core out of the housing. I will have to use some sandpaper and make it work better before I rebuild the lock.
Now that it is apart I should be able to polish up the insides and make a key that will operate well and put it all back together.
After that I can move on to a smaller YALE that I have and see if I can make a key for it. You would think I would learn better....but I don't.
Thanks for the help and encouragement.
Steve
Previous

Return to Tutorials