FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Who can do this for me

<<

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 am

Who can do this for me

I have had this cabinet for a while and am now in the need to lock it.

I want to keep it as original as possible, never got a key for it, made sometime in the 40s or 50s Im guessing.

Id like to play around with making a key myself but time is very limited for me so is there anyone here that can help and what should I expect to pay to have a key cut?

I have a blank for it that Im assuming would work as it fits down in the cylinder fine.

Thanks

I cant find anyone local that can do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:53 am

Re: Who can do this for me

Ive looked the lock over carefully, I see no way to remove the cylinder short of the possability of drilling out a brass pin on the backside and then possibly it would come apart?

I think impressioning would be a better alternative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:09 am

I dont see a subsection of this site to post a wanted to hire section so thats why its here. Again while Id like to try and do this myself ( and Im positive I eventually would be successful ) I simply cant focus on this right now so any suggestions on where to have this done would be appreciated. Thanks
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:01 pm

https://youtu.be/Ie1CRdL5hH0
Try to learn on some locks you don't care about first.
Have extra blanks.
Gordon has some really good post on how to impression keys.
Most cabinet wafer locks I've come across impression easily.
Also read up on wafer reading
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:29 pm

jharveee wrote:https://youtu.be/Ie1CRdL5hH0
Try to learn on some locks you don't care about first.
Have extra blanks.
Gordon has some really good post on how to impression keys.
Most cabinet wafer locks I've come across impression easily.
Also read up on wafer reading

Thanks, this guy starts out with get the proper blank....Ok how would I know what that might be? I went to Home depot, told an associate what I was trying to do and first key he handed me surprisingly fit into the keyhole. ( I say surprisingly cause I tried a lot of my personal keys and found nothing to fit )

Im assuming that just cause it fits in the hole that dosent necessarily mean it is right?
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Wafer locks do not seem to be to picky as to what key it is, pretty much...just needs to fit inside and be long enough. First key I ever filed was for a cabinet wafer lock. Y11 is one of my favorite blanks for this type of lock or y12, y13. Maybe someone here will recognize your keyway. I forgot not everyone has access to a well stocked key board. What key blank do you have for it now?
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:36 pm

As jharvee says, the tolerances in these wafer locks are awful, you won't have to be terribly accurate filing the blank.

It's a heck of a lot easier to file a key if you can see the wafers at the shearline. In most of these locks there is a wafer at the very back of the stack that holds the core in...all you need to do is reach in with a half diamond, slide that wafer up a little, and the core slides right out in your hand. I think from memory a lot of them you don't even have to have the lock picked first but even if you do, it's trivially easy.

Hope this helps.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:10 am

MHM wrote:As jharvee says, the tolerances in these wafer locks are awful, you won't have to be terribly accurate filing the blank.

It's a heck of a lot easier to file a key if you can see the wafers at the shearline. In most of these locks there is a wafer at the very back of the stack that holds the core in...all you need to do is reach in with a half diamond, slide that wafer up a little, and the core slides right out in your hand. I think from memory a lot of them you don't even have to have the lock picked first but even if you do, it's trivially easy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, keys are nearly 4 dollars a piece uncut at the local HD, I was contacted by a member here who says hes gonna make me one for 10 bucks, I dont normally take the easy road but this time Im gonna.

I appreciate the comments
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 am

That's good news.
10.00 dollars is less than half what you'd have to pay at some shops.
<<

tarboxb

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 am

The lock on the dial on my safe is like that MHM. I use a hook pick to pull the plug out.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm

tarboxb wrote:The lock on the dial on my safe is like that MHM. I use a hook pick to pull the plug out.

I don't know why some manufacturers do that, it just seems pointless.* I've got an S&G dial with the same system, and also a Kaba of some kind I think. That one, you definitely don't even need to pick it first. Chubb very often put stouter dial-locks on; their vault locks very often have a nice lever lock and I've seen one Chubb group 2 with a Medeco...

*Yeah I know, it makes the user feel just that little bit more secure and lets him immobilise the dial with the bolt open. Still doesn't make it good design practise though.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Got an older Kromer dial (1930s) which has a 6-lever lock. It is probably the same security as the British low-end gun safe locks.

Regarding the furniture wafer locks. For most I don't bother to keep the key as I normally use a jiggler to lock and unlock. Much easier to handle.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I wanted to again thank Mr Wizard for making me some keys at an affordable price, it was clear from the start that dealing with him would be a pleasure, his attention to detail and thoroughness within the entire ordeal was top notch, best yet I can now lock my cabinet.

Highly recommended if you need something related to locks done.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Looks like Y11 blank, pretty generic. They seem to fit in a variety of small cam locks. Making keys is rewarding and a skill that comes in handy.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks for the kind words I was very happy to help you out. Thank you for posting the pictures of the lock back on your cabinet so I can see the finished job. Nice old industrial sturdy cabinet now you can finally lock it up. Your shop in the background looks huge would like to have one that big.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning