FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Visit London

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:18 am

Visit London

I'm going to spend a few days in London towards the end of April. I've always wanted to visit the Bramah factory but I see they've moved. Is there a company museum or something interesting to see at their London address? Anything else lock related you recommend? Is there a locksport meeting scheduled?

Thanks for any suggestion :)
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:53 am

Re: Visit London

I've never been, but have a terrific time!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 am

I hope you have a good time. I got 24 hours in London but I had already been awake for 36 hours by the time I got there so I didn't really get to enjoy it.
<<

Darvince

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:03 am

have a nice time and take sam pic for us :)
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:26 pm

femurat wrote:I'm going to spend a few days in London towards the end of April. I've always wanted to visit the Bramah factory but I see they've moved. Is there a company museum or something interesting to see at their London address? Anything else lock related you recommend? Is there a locksport meeting scheduled?

Thanks for any suggestion :)

No museum at Bramah. The Challenge padlock is in the science museum (main hall - ground floor I think). Some nice keys etc in the V&A (older pre 1800 stuff for the most part).
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:42 pm

Good idea. Will ask next time I'm in the UK.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

rphillips52

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:41 am

First stop, Victoria & Albert Museum. There are some splendid examples of art metalwork in the Metalwork Gallery, including a Wilkes 'cavalier lock'. Also somewhere in the V&A is the 'Beddington Lock': a fine example of high relief craftsmanship in wrought iron, still with traces of its gilding.
Nearby, the Science Museum has dismantled the Locks & Fastenings Gallery, but some of the items were put into the Household Gallery. The reconstruction of Bramah's shop window, with the Challenge Padlock, was on show there. Years since I've been in London so not sure what is on show, or where.

In the City, the Museum of London has some roman and other locks. But perhaps you have already seen some of those :-)
Also in the City, you might like to see the Bank of England Museum, just to say you've been in there. And the Tower of London, have a look at the Crown Jewels — and their accommodation.

Hampton Court Palace, up river, is worth a visit for its magnificence, following some restoration work.
The Wallace Collection is noted for its armour, and paintings, but if I remember correctly, some other metalwork includes a few locks and keys. It's in Westminster so not far to go, and not that big, so you could make a quick visit.

Bramah has no museum, but if you contact Mr ' Jeremy.Bramah@bramah.co.uk ', and can promote Bramah locks in Italy, he might see you.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Get your arse up to the Midlands Fem! I'll meet you. There is a wonderful old lock museum based up this way.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Have that on my "To Go" list. Unfortunately I'm single and don't like to travel around alone.

Also on my "To Go" list is Blackpool.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Hux, I was thinking about you... I'm not travelling alone and have just a few days. Unfortunately i can't go outside London. It would be great to meet you. Any chance you come down there?

Cheers :)

Return to Groups