FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

5 More safe locks added to my list..

<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:57 pm

5 More safe locks added to my list..

Doesn't really fall into my usual manipulation category but stil cool.

A guy emails me about 5 filing cabinets hes bought from a bankruptcy sale with safe locks on the top. I was super excited because I have done them before and its good manipulation practice. So I get to the place and they are GROUP 2M locks on filing cabinets except for 1 which had a group 2 Chinese knock off.

So I figure no biggie, I will go home fabricate a nice lock screw driver and then return with a drill and my borescope.

I return and start drilling only to discover that there is regular filing cabinet metal on the outside and a thin sheet of hard steel on the inside...not a big deal but it was a bit tougher than I thought. So after I drill the hole I find that there is a plate covering up the rear of the lock (Not the one that supposed to be there, an external plate so you cant see the change key hole). Again, no biggie I will just use my new super duper screw driver to unscrew the that back plate and we will be back in action. Not that easy, the plate goes around the lock and snaps onto the lock body. So I rack my brain for a minute on what I can use to pull that plate away from the lock. Then a light bulb goes off in my head, the last time I was at the dollar store they had these driveway reflectors that are mounted on a thin metal rod. I go get said driveway marker and bend the end at a 90 degree angle use the borescope (The kind with the little monitor mounted on it and the long flexible camera end) to help guide the rod into place, I pull and BAM!! the back plate comes off. So now I can get down to business. I use my borescope and my handy dandy screw driver to unscrew the lock cover and thats that. repeat 3 more times and in 90 minutes all 5 cabinets are back in service.

Why would they put 2M lock on a cabinet that you could just pop open with a flat head screw driver?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/webpirate ... 266988500/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/webpirate ... 2266988500

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Re: 5 More safe locks added to my list..

Amazing work and a shock to see someone put these locks ima cabinet. Great pics of the other locks you cracked/passed.

I'm just starting with manipulation so a complete and total noob. Can you explain what the groups mean. Is that how safes /locks are categorized?
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:49 am

Webpirate!! Haven't heard from you in a bit... but I had no doubt you were still hard at it :D
Honestly, that's a job I would've walked away from. No experience with drilling or MP locks.
Very nicely done sir! Thanks for sharing some pictures and nice to see ya around.

Papa Gleb wrote:.....Can you explain what the groups mean. Is that how safes /locks are categorized?
There's more definitive literature describing the different groups.... but I touch on it a little bit here.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

webpirate

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 pm

Oldfast, I am always here I just don't reply to much...

I told the owners of the safes that I didn't have much expierence with group 2m locks and I have no idea why the manufacturer would put them on there....I told them all.it would take was 1 hole in the back of 1 of the cabinets to see what the story was because I knew in was not going to be manipulating them open.. they said that was OK..so once I "learned" how to do 1 the rest were a breeze..drilling through the hard plate was the hardest part...and by hard plate I mean..metal.just slightly harder than regular file cabinet sheet metal..

So if you ever have to do these cabinets rest assured they are easy if you have a scope and a long screw driver...
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:00 am

I have a file cabinet similar to those, here is a pic I snapped of it Image

I am going to be getting that one and 4 more back into service soon and yes I will be doing a write up on them ;)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks