FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset SmartKey Padlock

<<

escher7

Post Sat May 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: Kwikset SmartKey Padlock

Rapping is as old as the hills. It is shocking that their techs did not pick this up. If the designers worked for me they would be fired. And yes, if someone were to lose valuables there could be a successful lawsuit against the company, although this type of lock, even without the vulnerability would not reasonably be expected to protect serious items like jewels etc.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 am

True that rapping has been around a while, but this time it is not acting like a bump key, but as a way to remove the plug!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun May 11, 2014 8:16 am

Well done, Gordon. Does the plug retaining clip pull outward from the center of the lock? I can't believe the same retaining grove on the side of the cylinder is all that is holding the core in place. If it's a pull action, I assume you are hitting on the opposite side of the cylinder to work against the force of the spring?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun May 11, 2014 8:53 am

Lauren wrote:Well done, Gordon. Does the plug retaining clip pull outward from the center of the lock? I can't believe the same retaining grove on the side of the cylinder is all that is holding the core in place. If it's a pull action, I assume you are hitting on the opposite side of the cylinder to work against the force of the spring?

Yes, the clip pulls outward from the center of the lock, Lauren. There is no spring tension at all on it, so it slides easily if you use a pick to move it. Hitting the lock on the side of the shackle toe, or if you are looking at the plug, at the top of the keyway. (For those european-inclined, where the wafer carriers are located - where they jagged edge of the key goes).

Yes, hit on the same side of the lock as the clip is located, so inertia moves the lock while the clip remains stationary. The last picture in the video shows that the clip is moved fully outwards.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun May 11, 2014 9:02 am

How can Kwikset not put a spring on the clip? Vibration alone would cause the core to come out.
<<

escher7

Post Sun May 11, 2014 11:22 am

GWiens2001 wrote:True that rapping has been around a while, but this time it is not acting like a bump key, but as a way to remove the plug!

Gordon

When I refer to rapping Gordon, I mean the old way of hitting the side of the lock to make the bolt mechanism temporarily jump out of the way to release the shackle. This is much the same except that instead of the bolt moving, the cylinder retainer is
moving. My point was that the application of Newton's laws is the same and should have been foreseen by the designers.

"Yes, hit on the same side of the lock as the clip is located, so inertia moves the lock while the clip remains stationary. The last picture in the video shows that the clip is moved fully outwards."

Anyone who has ever put a new handle on a hammer or hatchet knows that hitting the end of the new handle with a second hammer drives the wood into the steel head because of the same principle.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 am

Exactly, and know that you knew that, escher. Was stating it more for the newbies who are not as experienced with locks as some of us. And we both agree that the designers should have seen that vulnerability. Good that you bring out those issues, escher! :)

Gordon
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 11, 2014 2:26 pm

I posted it on Lowes review comments for that lock but it appears they moderated and deleted it...

Lowes looking out for their sales over customers security!

Bet if it was a "Sales" making post in the reviews it would be up there!

Hey Lowes :bird:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri May 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Just wanted to make a quick update here.

I spread the video around and actually posted it directly to Kwikset. They reached out and wanted to talk about the ock.

I just got off the phone with them and they said they were adding in a press fit pin to prevent the part from sliding. It would remove the ability to remove the core but said the better overall security of the padlock was worth it. It was not mentioned if they are putting the pin into the lock/core directly or if they were putting it into the shackle hole to prevent the slider from moving.

They were quite thankful for bringing it to their attention so early in the product release. They made up a couple pre production models to test and send out and were getting the manufacturing facilty to start making the new design.

They will be sending samples to Gordon and I for more testing. :hammering: :lol:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Wow!!! That's GREAT NEWS!

So, we CAN make a difference
Nice work guys :) Very nice!!!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Neilau

Post Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 pm

I recall hearing, quite a few years back, that TOOOL in the Nederlands discovered a major security flaw in a common door lock and the manufacture did not address it when it was pointed out. They went public and the manufacturer had to recall a lot of locks and replace them for free.

I can’t remember the lock or manufacture.

TOOOL now work closely with lock manufactures (reviewing new locks) and the police in the Nederlands.

If anyone knows Barry Wells or knows the story I’m sure they will elaborate.

Like I said, It’s a story I recall reading about a few years ago.

Plus "Old timers" is setting in. :???:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

1mrchristopher

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:37 pm

I look forward to seeing pictures of the new lock's mechanism. It seems like they could have easily used a thicker retainer, and had a screw hold it in place. The ability to remove the core is really the saving grace of the lock in my mind, as prone to failure as they are, and considering the less than ideal conditions that padlocks are usually used in.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:51 pm

Just want to say that I am suitably impressed at the tactics Kwikset chose to take with this matter. Without threats or coercion, they chose to fix the problem. It raises my opinion of their corporate mentality. Much better that MMF! Remember that one, Oldfast? :lol:

Gordon
<<

Neilau

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:13 am

MMF ???

Gordon...... don't keep us in the dark.

Sounds like a good story.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat May 17, 2014 2:33 am

Neilau wrote:MMF ???

Gordon...... don't keep us in the dark.

Sounds like a good story.

Read this thread ;) http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6117
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
PreviousNext

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock