FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Homage to a Pollux

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Homage to a Pollux

xeo wrote:Killer looking lock, pick on it?

Is that a piece of candy?

No pick on it yet, xeo. Tensioning is the thing at the moment. I was thinking of grinding the bits off one of the keys to make a wrench, but can't bring myself to do that just yet. I'll just have a rummage around some steel tubing and get all homebrew on it.

Nope, not a piece of candy. :D :D It's a bump key spacer. And was the first thing at hand when I wanted it to pose the Pollux for it's pics. Personally, I like the earlier description of "a little pink pillow" :D

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:53 am

that type of lock is quite common from what I see at the montmartre/chez site, and from what my internet friend "jimmy" Jeanclaude tells me there is a dedicated pick called the umbrella pick or however that translates into french.

I can still find the pages when I google serrures de haute securitie chez montmartre, there was a time when it was not a problems to see that site.
many expanded drawings of locks if you click on the pictures.

pushpins are called pompe

rai
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:26 am

rai wrote:that type of lock is quite common from what I see at the montmartre/chez site, and from what my internet friend "jimmy" Jeanclaude tells me there is a dedicated pick called the umbrella pick or however that translates into french.

I can still find the pages when I google serrures de haute securitie chez montmartre, there was a time when it was not a problems to see that site.
many expanded drawings of locks if you click on the pictures.

pushpins are called pompe

rai

Yes, the pick looks amazing. The only supplier I know that offers that dedicated Pollux pick is here at multipick-service.com. Unfortunately, it is in a budget that's way, way out with the fairies! :D To be exact: a jaw-dropping 890 euros.

The translation of "umbrella" is Parapluie, as you can see from the link above. As you mention, the category of lock is indeed called a Pomp lock. Or at other times referred to as a 'Push' lock.

Thank you again for the link, and I now understand why it wouldn't work when we spoke about the Fontaine pomp lock a while back. It's now back online and can be found at http://protectvol.online.fr/. There's some English translation there too. I'd used this resource before, but not with the URL you'd given.

Many thanks, Rai.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:19 am

I thought to add to this since I've just finished gutting and cleaning 5 pin Pollux I recently got. Other than the 5 pins, instead of the 7 pins I showed in my OP, it's exactly the same internally, but there are some differences externally. The 5 pin is an older version than the 7 pin.

Here's some comparison pics with the 5 pin cylinders on the left and the 7 pin cylinders on the right.
Note the difference in the shorter internal cylinder. The 5 pin internal cylinder is also secured by a Phillips head screw rather than a grub screw.

The only differences here is the front of the external cylinder, and the smaller diameter to front of the internal cylinder.

And naturally some differences in the key.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 am

Always drool over your collection, MrA. Very nice. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Froggy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:29 am

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 am

Froggy wrote:here is an umbrella for Pollux 5

http://storemadelin-sa.com/fr/parapluie ... lux-5.html

Only 720 euros? What a bargain. MrAnybody will probably get two... one for him, and the other for a donation auction. :twisted:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:40 pm

I know the dude who makes those! He has made some amazing tubular-type picks.

The Pollox is just a glorified tubular really. Tension can be done with the thick 'cuts' themselves on the key. So you'd choose any one and put it all the way down to use for tension then pick the other pins. The one you used for tension originally can then be withdrawn and picked. A bit like the Vanlock technique.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Love to see those hp ! kind of makes me in the pick making mood seeing these locks I guess a brass mortise key for the tension milled down on sides would do the trick
<<

Froggy

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 am

<<

Froggy

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:53 am

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:31 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
Froggy wrote:here is an umbrella for Pollux 5

http://storemadelin-sa.com/fr/parapluie ... lux-5.html

Only 720 euros? What a bargain. MrAnybody will probably get two... one for him, and the other for a donation auction. :twisted:

Gordon

And one for Sundays too, Gordon. One really must cover all angles with this sort of thing :D

Thanks Froggy. I've yet to see a key for the latest model Pollux have brought out. Do you know of a pic?

huxleypig wrote:I know the dude who makes those! He has made some amazing tubular-type picks.

The Pollox is just a glorified tubular really. Tension can be done with the thick 'cuts' themselves on the key. So you'd choose any one and put it all the way down to use for tension then pick the other pins. The one you used for tension originally can then be withdrawn and picked. A bit like the Vanlock technique.

Indeed, hux. I'd say the only time a fancy-pansy umbrella pick would be necessary is if you had to impress a customer or something. Other than that, it's just another over priced cool tool.

As you say, they're easy enough to pick. One example:

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

Froggy

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

I've not got the new model key or blank. To get a key copied you need the lock card owner. This new model blank is not yet in the locksmith blank catalogs as Errebi or Silca.
Previous

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock