FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

old locks

<<

deph

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:26 pm

old locks

I got these old locks, I have a few more that is not pictured. I just figured I would take some of the different sizes. Tell me what you guys think. Do any of you know much about these locks?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: old locks

Nice locks. from what I can see, they are all modern replica's to very old style locks. in fact I have the one in your second picture, with the same bitting on the key too! but they are cool in any collection. Modern "lockpickers" don't deal with those normally, so it will keep them out. :)
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

deph

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:38 pm

cool man thanks for the info. dang I was thinking that they were old are you pretty sure they are modern? the big ones have VRR on em. some of the medium ones have SFRR and others have NWRR on them. if you enlarge the one pic of the larger one you can see the VRR on it. IS there a way to differentiate replicas from the original ones?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

There are a LOT of replica locks being made, many with the intent of catching dollars from collectors. Look on eBay for prison locks, and you will see the same locks with brass nameplates on them saying "Leavenworth Prison", "Folsom Prison", "Yuma Prison", and many others.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:46 pm

As has been pointed out, all fairly new (less than 10 years). All made in India. All markings spurious.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:08 pm

deph wrote:cool man thanks for the info. dang I was thinking that they were old are you pretty sure they are modern? the big ones have VRR on em. some of the medium ones have SFRR and others have NWRR on them. if you enlarge the one pic of the larger one you can see the VRR on it. IS there a way to differentiate replicas from the original ones?

Antique-padlocks.com has a good section on fakes:

http://www.antique-padlocks.com/fantasy_repro.htm
<<

deph

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:16 pm

thanks for the info and the links guys. ive read all I could find about them. I just figured.. or hoped I guess, since my dad had them for a while before he gave them to me that they were real. But either way a nice addition to the collection. I couldn't find any like with the letters that these have, the ones I could find had brass tags on em. I reckon without the fake tags stamped on them they are harder to pass off as antiques lol.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:50 pm

deph wrote:thanks for the info and the links guys. ive read all I could find about them. I just figured.. or hoped I guess, since my dad had them for a while before he gave them to me that they were real. But either way a nice addition to the collection. I couldn't find any like with the letters that these have, the ones I could find had brass tags on em. I reckon without the fake tags stamped on them they are harder to pass off as antiques lol.

Without the tags - easier to pass off.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

deph

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 pm

haha that's what I meant to say. good catch gordon

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock