FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Punch card operated padlock

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Punch card operated padlock

This is a lock I've had for years, since I was a kid. Don't know if they even make them anymore.
Picture 3.jpg

As you can see, it's operated by inserting the plastic card and pushing the card in slightly. I believe it works similar to a pin tumbler, as you can see the tops of plastic "cones" in the slot. I'm guessing these act like keypins, and the size/position of the holes on the card determines if they line up correctly. If all lines up, the lock mechanism will slide to the left and retract the latch.

I'd like to find another and dissect it, as this one was one of the original locks in my collection 20 some years ago!
Also came with a smaller keycard, but it's lost at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Punch card operated padlock

Ah I have a very similar, but simpler luggage lock. Small card with 3 holes (3 spaces and 2 different hole sizes), push it in a little bit and it opens. To be honest I never really quite got how it works, my idea was that it has some "multilock interactive" like pin in pins which check for hole presence and size.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I've been looking for one of these for years now to add to my collection. I bid on one several years back on ebay, and thought I had it, only to have the seller stop the sale in the last hour because he supposedly sold it locally. I haven't come across one since. I'm jealous, you have a very cool lock. Mark
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Neilau

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I got one of these a few months ago - the "Travel Lock" complete with "looting" lock" that needs a "special Tools" to open -- hint it's called a key.

http://www.itwproline.com.au/Travel-Pad ... fault.aspx

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:33 pm

oldbiscuit wrote:I've been looking for one of these for years now to add to my collection. I bid on one several years back on ebay, and thought I had it, only to have the seller stop the sale in the last hour because he supposedly sold it locally. I haven't come across one since. I'm jealous, you have a very cool lock. Mark

Yeah, I haven't seen one in stores since the late 90's. Maybe another one will come along. I had two once, but gave one away ten or so years ago to a friend.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Interesting :yep:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Neilau wrote:I got one of these a few months ago - the "Travel Lock" complete with "looting" lock" that needs a "special Tools" to open -- hint it's called a key.

http://www.itwproline.com.au/Travel-Pad ... fault.aspx

Cheers.

Looting lock... TSA compatible? Most likely yes.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to This Old (or unusual) Lock