FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Primus LFIC removal

<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Primus LFIC removal

I have 2 Schlage Primus LFIC cores mounted in mortice cylinders, each with a operating key but not a control key. Do you guys have a technique to get them out?

I was thinking about cutting a little chunk of key to push down to the end but was worried about not being able to get it out and finding the right height.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: Primus LFIC removal

you would need to solder some material to the tip of the key, Schlage LFIC uses a 7 pin blank with a fixed height of 6 for their control keys.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:15 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:you would need to solder some material to the tip of the key, Schlage LFIC uses a 7 pin blank with a fixed height of 6 for their control keys.

I just did this to a Primus Jeff sent me and it is really easy, as you do not need to be exact. If you lead solder the tip on, you can file the solder down so it fits into the keyway, and it doesn't matter if it too high (within reason) since the lead solder is soft, it will impression the right height.
A wise man once told me I was a unique person. Just like everyone else. Korver15 Channel
<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Wow thanks for the great responses, I looked around and it doesn't look like anyone has done a thorough teardown of the Schlage interchangeable core system so I wasn't sure how to proceed. What type of soldering iron did you use to get enough heat into the key?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Here is a visual of the Schlage Primus LFIC. Not exactly a teardown, but in some ways it makes a teardown irrelevant.

That is a cutaway Snowyboy made for me. Love his beautiful work.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:58 am

Thanks everyone.
I got it apart last night after gobbing a big ball of solder onto the key and spending a ton of time filing it all off. This was definitely a learning experience, once I could see in the back I realized how little solder I actually needed to add.
I had a hell of a time getting the side biting cleaned up enough to let the key pass. In the end I had to file the side biting back to original key length because the side pins would plow through any soft solder they touched.

My only problem now is I have a sticky middle finger pin that doesn't want to fall into place. The lock might require some cleaning and lubricant. Perhaps this is why this lock still isn't on a door.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:21 pm

If your lock has a problem with the middle finger, show it yours! :mrgreen:

You may have to clean out some solder from that finger pin.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Schlage Primus