FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Another question about masterkeying

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Re: Another question about masterkeying

I have that manual printed out in a binder under my desk. I refer to it regularly!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Master Keying

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Re: Another question about masterkeying

Don Burke wrote:
Don Burke wrote:I understand the shallowest cut - that forces a "rights amplifier" to track down blanks.
Master Keying wrote:What do you mean by this ?
Using a master key with ....... think it is moot.?
Din't explain myself here, i didn't understand this "that forces a "rights amplifier" to track down blanks"

Don Burke wrote:What is the logic behind using the deepest cut?
Master Keying wrote:See XEO comment..
Now it is my turn to ask what you mean by this. Xeo appears to be reconfirming the part that I already understand.[/quote] Yes, my double bobble...

Master Keying wrote:It's also good practice to use odd/even cuts.
Don Burke wrote:
Don Burke wrote:Since you brought it up, I'll ask about this one too. In some places I have seen a recommendation that either all even cuts or all odd cuts be used.
I'm not quite sure about this, why would someone recommend this. Actually, it makes it weaker.
Don Burke wrote:The only advantage to that I can see is that it eliminates the possibility of using a "1" master pin.
It has nothing to do with Master 1. The advantage is, that you don't have the same height/depth across the key/pinning.
Ex 1: If your bottom pins are the same size (all 0's, 1's, 2's, ect) it easier to pick it. In case of 1's you can insert a blank key in and most likely open cylinder. This would apply to all systems/cylinders where all positions/chambers are progressed.
Ex 2: If you use odd/even or even/odd method, you are eliminating the above problem. (or almost)

Guys, we are "5 milion km's" apart, have a different lingo, have different product market, but we are talking about the same thing - Master Keying.
So give me a time till I get your slang sorted out ;)
Thanks.
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths