FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

systems for organizing keys

<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:44 am

systems for organizing keys

I recently came into a small lot of assorted key blanks. Several thousand of them are unsorted, and I'm trying to settle on an indexing system.

I see that there are several. In Mexico they often use the Alba system, which I like because the model codes are short and easy to remember. Ilco EZ Line seems to be the closest US equivalent, though I think it's less complete than the standard Ilco system. I've seen some reference to the Cole system, but I have a feeling that's antiquated. Is there an industry standard?

The Kaba-Ilco site has a useful resource for cross-referencing key blanks (http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems/Literature-Support/ILCO-EZ-Search/584232/key-blank-cross-reference.html). I just wish there weren't so many keys missing from its index.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: systems for organizing keys

Gringo, If you are going to use just one manufacturer, one system will be fine. Reality usually means some blanks will come from odd places and you will need to facilitate them also. Go with alphabetical then work in the numbers that you are actually going to stock. There is no sense in using numbers that will obsolece with the first reorder. Good luck. Starting from scratch can be a bit intimidating.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Whether I store them in boxes, bags, or on hooks I tend to use multiple numbers on the label for each blank. Just in case. I never know what number I'll be given later when trying to match a blank. I always try to use the factory OEM catalog number, the Ilco number, the EZ code number and/or the number on the blank itself if it's a brand of blank that isn't covered by one of the above numbers.

For storing I usually just keep them in the original boxes, stacked up on a shelf, adding a label for the additional numbers. If I don't have the box and I have just a few of them, I put them in little ziplock baggies with a label on it and have a larger box for all my baggies of misc blanks.

If you're a reloader, the boxes that ammo projectiles often come in (if you buy by the hundred) are just about the same size as a box of key blanks except plastic and more durable. Excellent for storing blanks bought in bulk.

Also, I'm overly meticulous, so feel free to ignore all of this entirely.
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 pm

I like to use the “ EZ” or Curtis numbering system for the common stuff. Sc1, Kw5 ect. But that is because I learned that system early on. The Ilco numbering system seems to be the most common ( in the USA) for the less common and automotive.

I use the same a MBI .. baggies with a label for the keys with less than a full box.
I also use a data base with the EZ number ( if available) , Ilco number and factory number plus inventory count and common uses + where they are located ( I have some in boxes , some on hooks , and some in drawers
Seems to work for me, but keep the ideas coming . Somebody may have a better / easier idea.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:04 pm

At my shop we have them sorted by lock manufacturer, for example; American, Best, Kwikset, Master, Schlage, and Yale to name just a few.
Our american automotive keys are in one small area; Chrysler, Ford, GM, a few others. Then we have all our foreign auto keys all in alphabetical order too.
All the extra keys we have in stock are in the same sort of order on shelves in their boxes.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Great question Gringo... and a wonderful problem to have actually. I wish I had that problem! lol

Impressioning is something I really enjoy, but have a fairly limited number of blanks.
As a hobbiest, I don't have a huge selection, nor could I really justify spending that much.
I've a small rotating rack that's very slowly filling up as I patiently wait for good steals on ebay.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the various answers and ideas given so far.
And, I have alot to learn when it comes to even identifying blanks. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:17 pm

I agree, Oldfast -- good advice all around. It's a little disappointing that the industry hasn't coalesced around a single system so we can all be speaking the same language, but I'm glad to have the freedom to arrange the keys in a way that makes sense to me.

The lot I bought had belonged to a locksmith who died a couple of years ago. Included were thousands of keys for 1980s domestic cars, which I'll surely never use. I expect that through the sale of those keys alone I'll recoup the cost of the purchase and then be left over with much of what I need to run my business. These kind of deals seem to come around once in a while if you keep an eye out.
<<

USABumpKeys

Post Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:47 am

I group mine by use (residential, commercial, auto) then by Ilco number and convert other manufacturer's number to an Ilco number. Have a separate area for anything that doesn't have an Ilco number. I store them in one of these. The small bins can usually hold a 50 pack of non plastic head keys and 5 packs of the thicker plastic head keys. The bigger drawers I believe will hold 250 packs, but I am not sure since I didn't have full boxes when I dumped them in.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:46 am

I've sorted, labeled, and grouped the keys by their Ilco and/or EZ numbers, segregating the auto keys from everything else.

The next decision is what to stick in my van and how. I have a peg board in there. Each peg is bent up to about 75 degrees. I'm terrified that I'll fill the board up and then someday I'll round a corner too fast and have to pick up 1000 mixed and unidentified keys from the floor of my van. I don't know how to secure them on there without significantly reducing the convenience of having them out and visible.

The board has 160 pegs, while I probably have about 500 unique blank types. As I see it, the purpose of the peg board is threefold:

1) storage
2) fast access to keys
3) view of many blanks when the one needed is unknown.

Doubling up key types on each peg is a possibility, but to somewhat defeats the purpose of having all those keys swinging precariously on that board.

Another possibility is to not use the board at all. I have some boxes of alphabetized baggies; for every key type I have, there's a baggie with at least one (but preferentially 3-5) blanks in it. I could toss those in the van and be done with it.

And there are certain blanks that I'll need a decent supply of in the van (Y1, KW1, SC1, WR5, etc.), but I don't know which ones they are. And should I always be hauling around 2 copies of each 1970s motorcycle key that I have? Preparedness is great, but space and gas efficiency are factors.

There's lots to consider here.

Return to Professional Locksmiths