FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Locksmith home studies.

<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Re: Locksmith home studies.

DIY Dave wrote:I took the Foley Belsaw Course and it was a good starting point. Most of the information in it can be found online, but it is helpful having it all together in books. Some of the material is so obvious it's stupid, like Identifying blanks from each other when they look nothing alike and have the ilco number stamped on them. Also you should check out Bill Phillips "The Complete Book of Locks and Locksmithing" and Kokomo's "Locksmithing 101" videos on youtube.

Bingo! I would not pay for most stuff, online study classes are a waste of time IMO. Research it yourself, there's more than enough free resources online.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Well I was thinking of starting a home-study course via Youtube and maybe skype.

I want to make my own learning locksmith series.

Maybe we can help each other.

Just another entrepreneurial idea of mines.

My and my coworker were talking about having our own tips & tricks book.

I write my own masterkeying programs on excel and sell them.

I also sell masterkey systems if a large number of change keys are needed.

Anyways, let me know. I'm not guaranteeing anything though as teaching is a gift and students learn in many different ways.

But PM me when you have the chance.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:33 am

We'll you probably weren't talking to me, but if you were, I couldn't add much as I'm a complete noob.
<<

USABumpKeys

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:30 pm

There is locksmithvideoschool and there is a guy called Affordable Joe that sells dvds on EBay. locksmithvideoschool is having a sale on their complete set until the 21st.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:07 am

Affordable Joe? Funny name. Like 'Honest Bob's used cars'.
<<

Grandpa

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 pm

I looked in to many courses. All I can say is most are only after your money. If you want to be a locksmith go to shops around the city you live and ask about what schools they would hire from. Even the Foley-Belsaw classes give only a small piece of the puzzle. If you are in a licensed state you can't pass the test with only that information. I can't imagine paying for a class or course that wouldn't give enough information to pass a test required required to enter a technical field. The days of opening a locksmith business with little knowledge is passed. Auto locks provide a large portion of locksmith business. If you choose a course surely choose one that teaches some about this. The very first answer you got was SOPL, which would be my choice.

Talk to the locksmiths on this sight. They'll tell you the truth about getting a job or starting a business and all the things you need to be successful at such an endeavor. Someone that makes a living by selling you a course doesn't have your best interest at heart. They want your money without regard whether you can get a job. They never guarantee you a job.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Is this a career choice or a hobby? If you are planning on doing this professionally then you need professional training, and yes it will cost money. I was blessed to be apprenticed under two Masters (by ALOA standards), but they still sent my ass to every class within 300 miles that came about. Conventions, trade-shows, Associations, all of them ususally offer classes. Do a Google search to see if there is a local locksmith association, great chance to meet people and learn

Despite my feelings regarding them, ALOA still has some the best damn classroom training you will find anywhere. Yes, it's in Dallas. Yes, it's expensive. Nothing beats hands-on and having someone there to answer questions. Proper training costs money.

My personal opinion of the SOPL... avoid them and their politics. They are more akin to a confederacy of locksmiths, with giving the finger to ALOA being a primary goal. Not that I have loyalty to ALOA, I decided long ago to abandon my membership for various reasons. But that can be a different thread.

One more thing to consider: specialization. Nowadays it is much harder to be a do-it-all locksmith. It would strongly suggest picking an an angle and just going balls-deep on it. Look at what your (future) competition is doing or, more importantly, not doing. Fill the gap, be the need.

Wow. Hope I didn't bounce around too much there. Good luck.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:22 am

Grandpa wrote:I looked in to many courses. All I can say is most are only after your money. If you want to be a locksmith go to shops around the city you live and ask about what schools they would hire from. Even the Foley-Belsaw classes give only a small piece of the puzzle. If you are in a licensed state you can't pass the test with only that information. I can't imagine paying for a class or course that wouldn't give enough information to pass a test required required to enter a technical field. The days of opening a locksmith business with little knowledge is passed. Auto locks provide a large portion of locksmith business. If you choose a course surely choose one that teaches some about this. The very first answer you got was SOPL, which would be my choice.

Talk to the locksmiths on this sight. They'll tell you the truth about getting a job or starting a business and all the things you need to be successful at such an endeavor. Someone that makes a living by selling you a course doesn't have your best interest at heart. They want your money without regard whether you can get a job. They never guarantee you a job.

I don't believe you should start a locksmith business after just taking classes, I would recommend 2 years experience in the field at the very least. Even if you could learn every single thing about locks by taking classes, you still aren't ready for running a real live business. You need lots of hands on practice with locks and experience with the business aspect. That's why the Electricians trade requires you to apprentice with an experienced Electrician before becoming licensed.
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:52 pm

dmasters wrote:

Despite my feelings regarding them, ALOA still has some the best damn classroom training you will find anywhere. Yes, it's in Dallas. Yes, it's expensive. Nothing beats hands-on and having someone there to answer questions. Proper training costs money.

Also consider Lockmasters http://www.lsieducation.com/

dmasters wrote:
My personal opinion of the SOPL... avoid them and their politics. They are more akin to a confederacy of locksmiths, with giving the finger to ALOA being a primary goal.

While that may be the case, the quality of the classes offered for free or minimal cost is certainly on par with FB
Additionally check with your local suppliers.. Most of the larger distributors offer factory classes at their conventions usually free or low cost. Great time to meet the local lockies and always good to have a factory rep you can call if you need something.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:02 pm

dmasters wrote:Is this a career choice or a hobby? If you are planning on doing this professionally then you need professional training, and yes it will cost money. I was blessed to be apprenticed under two Masters (by ALOA standards), but they still sent my ass to every class within 300 miles that came about. Conventions, trade-shows, Associations, all of them ususally offer classes. Do a Google search to see if there is a local locksmith association, great chance to meet people and learn

My personal opinion of the SOPL... avoid them and their politics. They are more akin to a confederacy of locksmiths, with giving the finger to ALOA being a primary goal. Not that I have loyalty to ALOA, I decided long ago to abandon my membership for various reasons. But that can be a different thread.

One more thing to consider: specialization. Nowadays it is much harder to be a do-it-all locksmith. It would strongly suggest picking an an angle and just going balls-deep on it. Look at what your (future) competition is doing or, more importantly, not doing. Fill the gap, be the need.

Wow. Hope I didn't bounce around too much there. Good luck.

You see,that's just it.I'm more into the hobby part of it now.I have no one around me to teach me,thus my question about online studies. There is a locksmith operating in a town 7 miles from me that my wife knows personally, but I would feel strange asking him to teach me at this stage since I know next to nothing.I would like to work for him part time(as I already retired from my former job and don't want anything full time), but one would think that he would want me to have some knowledge.So there is where I'm at.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:06 pm

DIY Dave wrote:
Grandpa wrote:I looked in to many courses. All I can say is most are only after your money. If you want to be a locksmith go to shops around the city you live and ask about what schools they would hire from. Even the Foley-Belsaw classes give only a small piece of the puzzle. If you are in a licensed state you can't pass the test with only that information. I can't imagine paying for a class or course that wouldn't give enough information to pass a test required required to enter a technical field. The days of opening a locksmith business with little knowledge is passed. Auto locks provide a large portion of locksmith business. If you choose a course surely choose one that teaches some about this. The very first answer you got was SOPL, which would be my choice.

I don't believe you should start a locksmith business after just taking classes, I would recommend 2 years experience in the field at the very least. Even if you could learn every single thing about locks by taking classes, you still aren't ready for running a real live business. You need lots of hands on practice with locks and experience with the business aspect. That's why the Electricians trade requires you to apprentice with an experienced Electrician before becoming licensed.

And no,I'm not wanting to start a locksmith business. My state requires me to take a test AND have proof of $1,000,000 liability insurance,so that is not an option for me.If I'm going to carry that much insurance,it will be for concealed carry of a firearm.
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths