FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safe Talk, with Altashot.

<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:18 am

Re: Safe Talk, with Altashot.

Altashot, I hope they let you keep those bolts and gears. they would be crucial to getting new parts made if you ever do "inherit" that bad boy. :)
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Altashot

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:04 pm

The pressure bar serves 2 purposes.
Like keymaster1053 explained, the door wouldn't swing out if it didn't pull out first
and, in this case, it hermetically seals the door as well. I don't have a picture of this but
JJ Taylor supplied this safe with 2 rubber seals embedded in the frame. Think of them as large square O-rings.
The pressure bar aids in applying the necessary pressure to compress those O-rings before the bolts can be thrown.
The purpose of those O-rings is to prevent the injection of liquid nitroglycerin between the frame and the door.
In the old days, nitroglycerin was readily available, and very effective at blowing off safe doors. If nitro was injected in there,
it wouldn't penetrate very far, so the detonation was likely to blow out with minimal damage to the safe. For what I read,
the O-rings were effective against this type of attack.

As for the parts I removed, the owner insisted on keeping them. He wants to upgrade soon and would rather have all
the parts with it although he is missing the 2 top bolts and gears. I also disabled the lower lock by removing the
roller bolt which he also kept.

He said he'd come see me when he decides to upgrade his safe, so I'll likely end up with this one.
For me to refurbish this one to it's former glory would take so much time and money that I will
never get my money out of it. It becomes a labour of love. It's fine for a hobbyist or a collector to do
as they intend to keep it, but for me, being in the safe business, labour of love doesn't pay the bills...
I'd have to have the gears made or buy the tools to do it myself and take time to learn how to do it, screw up my
first few pieces to finally get 1 right only to have to make another 3...Then I'd have to have them chromed...
Fabricating gears is beyond my machining skills at the moment, so, maybe some other time.

As for manipulating it, like any mechanical devices, it can be hacked but I can't see how myself.
The fence would only rest on the wheels as the roller rolls off the lever and then the fence lever nose rests on the cam again...
Not impossible I guess but i can't see how.

M.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Altashot wrote:The pressure bar serves 2 purposes.
Like keymaster1053 explained, the door wouldn't swing out if it didn't pull out first
and, in this case, it hermetically seals the door as well. I don't have a picture of this but
JJ Taylor supplied this safe with 2 rubber seals embedded in the frame. Think of them as large square O-rings.
The pressure bar aids in applying the necessary pressure to compress those O-rings before the bolts can be thrown.
The purpose of those O-rings is to prevent the injection of liquid nitroglycerin between the frame and the door.
In the old days, nitroglycerin was readily available, and very effective at blowing off safe doors. If nitro was injected in there,
it wouldn't penetrate very far, so the detonation was likely to blow out with minimal damage to the safe. For what I read,
the O-rings were effective against this type of attack.

As for the parts I removed, the owner insisted on keeping them. He wants to upgrade soon and would rather have all
the parts with it although he is missing the 2 top bolts and gears. I also disabled the lower lock by removing the
roller bolt which he also kept.

He said he'd come see me when he decides to upgrade his safe, so I'll likely end up with this one.
For me to refurbish this one to it's former glory would take so much time and money that I will
never get my money out of it. It becomes a labour of love. It's fine for a hobbyist or a collector to do
as they intend to keep it, but for me, being in the safe business, labour of love doesn't pay the bills...
I'd have to have the gears made or buy the tools to do it myself and take time to learn how to do it, screw up my
first few pieces to finally get 1 right only to have to make another 3...Then I'd have to have them chromed...
Fabricating gears is beyond my machining skills at the moment, so, maybe some other time.

As for manipulating it, like any mechanical devices, it can be hacked but I can't see how myself.
The fence would only rest on the wheels as the roller rolls off the lever and then the fence lever nose rests on the cam again...
Not impossible I guess but i can't see how.

M.

Well... I could make an offer on the time lock and safe lock(s) :P It would put a ding into the cost of a new safe.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Altashot

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Well... I could make an offer on the time lock and safe lock(s) :P It would put a ding into the cost of a new safe.[/quote]

LOL! Good one Riyame! :mrgreen: If it does come through my hands, you know I'm keeping the locks and timelock...
Remember this shelf? although this is not my entire collection, do you see that one on it?

Nope.
Sorry.

M.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:26 pm

But.... Do you really need 2 of the same combination lock? I don't see any like them on my shelf either :rofl:

Is that Diebold one of the ones with the line around it and numbers on the side of the ring?
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:51 am

Jim & Altashot... thanks so much for the info on the pressure bar. I'm glad I asked.

Also, interesting note on the rubber seals preventing injection of liquid nitroglycerin!

Riyame... good luck prying it from Alta's cold dead hands when the time comes. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Altashot

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Riy, if you mean the dial with the spiral on it, then no, it's not.
I don't think I even have one of those. I only see them
on high end vault doors, so, I don't see them often. Only a few Banks have them around here.

M.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Great stuff! What a pitty that this thread stops here.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

cycletrak1

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi M.
@Altashot I am new here. I tried to PM you but it seems to be stuck in 'outbox', so I'm posting here.

Recently acquired an old black safe, not very tall-maybe thigh high-the type with steel wheels, ~300#.

This post contains pics of what I've been searching for - amplifier, headphones and microphones. Apparently I have not been searching the internet using the correct wording as it seems that I find everything but what I'm looking for!

Could you share your setup - name and model numbers etc.? I realize I might have to find one second hand.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

D.

Altashot wrote:I cracked another vault.
A Chubb-Mosler and Taylor.

The call came in at about 12:30, a mortgage and investments kind of institution was locked out since that morning.
I had just finished a re-key at a Hotel and I was hungry. I picked up fast food, got ready and left at 1:30 or so.
It was out of town, quite a ways, about a 3 hour drive. I arrived at 4:30, half and hour before closing time.
I was told that the bottom comb wouldn't open. It always did before but not today, they tried all morning.
From experience, I know these people lie to me all the time. They never want to admit when they fu*ked up.
I guess they're afraid of getting in sh*t with they're superiors and they invent all sorts of stories
that often don't make any sense...But, I know what questions to ask and how to ask them,
and I've become a pretty good judge of character.
Like Frank Colombo, head cocked, squinty eye: "Oh! uhh, one more thing..."
...I normally decipher the truth. But this time, there was no need to "pull the truth" out, I believed her, she was genuine.

As always, I looked after my comfort and I pulled a chair to the door. I trusted the manager, so I approached the lock
with malfunction in mind, not a fu*k up. I could tell it was old, It had those clear plastic dials and rings. They were all
yellowed and cracked. It felt old too, sloppy, gritty, screechy, it was warped a little and it was hard to read from a faded index. I grabbed my Lock Amp and started my diagnostics. The business was now closed and the manager had to stay, so 2 other employee decided to stay as well and, "hang out". They were joking around, LOL'ing and talking behind other employees backs. I don't like this kind Of BS, it annoys me and I was trying to listen to the lock so I "smart ass-ly" said: "Don't go talking behind MY back,I can hear everything with this thing" I was pointing at my Amp.
The two loud mouths left and Mrs. manager apologized for their behavior.

I had the numbers in hand, but started a "mini manipulation" to verify the numbers, just to be sure. I could easily find the first 2 but not the last 2. I did finally find the third number, but not where it was supposed to be? Maybe a wheel slipped, and if it did, the last wheel would be off it's number too.
The third # was off by 32 so I adjusted the last wheel to match that 32 shift, but no, didn't work.
I spun AWL and started over, 1st gate, OK. 2nd gate, OK. So far so good, then the third gate, 32 away from where it should be and...Nope, it's not there anymore??? I tested it a few more times to no avail, it moved again???
I ended up finding it again but no where near where it was.... Fu*k!!! That wheel didn't slip, it's fu*king UNLOCKED!!!
So I left it parked there, I wasn't going to go chasing that gate again. then, I very, very, verrrrry gently moved the last wheel,
I was hoping that the 3rd wheel would stay put and only the inner hub would turn. I moved it in 2 increments after checking the CP's until the fence dropped in. It took 2 hours but I got it...
I turned the handle, pulled the door opened, got that instant
hormonal euphoric gratification and proceeded to repair it. It turned out that the last TWO wheel were unlocked...
I was all done at 7:00, had supper and arrived home at 10:30.
What a day! A fourteen hour day...

I told the tale to a fellow safecracker as having "safeman"s luck"...
He replied: "You wouldn't have "safeman's luck" if you weren't a SAFEMAN...You knew what you were doing...
...And, YOU did it...You're one hell of a safeman"

Man! Do I ever love my profession, it's right after sex... :shock:

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Altas ... ult%20door

M.

Oh! And inside, a bunch of lockers all fitted with S and G's and thousands of SD boxes... :drool:
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 am

cycletrak1 wrote:Hi M.
@Altashot I am new here. I tried to PM you but it seems to be stuck in 'outbox', so I'm posting here.

Recently acquired an old black safe, not very tall-maybe thigh high-the type with steel wheels, ~300#.

This post contains pics of what I've been searching for - amplifier, headphones and microphones. Apparently I have not been searching the internet using the correct wording as it seems that I find everything but what I'm looking for!

Could you share your setup - name and model numbers etc.? I realize I might have to find one second hand.

D.

Pretty much every safetools salesman has those amplifiers for sale, most probably under the name EZ Amp.
<<

cycletrak1

Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:
cycletrak1 wrote:Hi M.

D.

Pretty much every safetools salesman has those amplifiers for sale, most probably under the name EZ Amp.

Thank you for the info.

The one Altashot had in the pics was a Radio Shack version.
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths