FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage Securekey

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:35 am

Schlage Securekey

A customer wanted to take out a Schlage double-cylinder DB and replace it with a Schlage singe-cylinder DB.

The double-cylinder DB was an old-style Schlage lock with covered screw holes.

It took a while to take it out though. The replacement lock was purchased by the customer a while back but couldn't be installed because they didn't know how to remove the current lock.

There replacement lock has a Schlage Securekey lock which I didn't know at the time. It has a plus sign on the face of the plug.

It uses a blue reset key and is a re-keyable lock. This is the first time I ran into it on the field.

Another locksmith said they don't make these anymore because they've had problems with it. Does anyone else have an opinion on these type of locks. They are suppose to be bump-proof and more pick-resistance.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:01 am

Re: Schlage Securekey

Search Youtube for the videos on how to bump and pick. One of the techniques for bumping is to use the blue key and then have another blue key ready to change it back. If you ever come across one that you don't have keys for at all take the cylinder out of the lock and you can decode it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9nAvEWCh3I
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:35 am

The reason they dont make them anymore is not because they had problems with it, it is because they were sued by Kwikset. Since they had their "Smart Key" lock out first they took Schlage to court and forced them to stop all production as of Dec 2011.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes, in fact, they are bumpable, with the blue reset key cut at the 999 depths as mentioned above. I was skeptical of these locks when they first came out, so I purchased some for use to abuse and see how well they held up, the Kwikset version is complete junk but I so far think that the securekey is a very good lock, I have had no problems at all. I have in stock many of the blue key key blanks, because I suspect they will get to be harder and harder to find and I figure I can make some money rekeying them for people for a few years at least, because I think they are going to last a long time before they fall apart and start dissapearing off of peoples doors. Don't take these locks apart if ya aren't a patient person and can't remember where everything goes!!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Yes, they are quite a bit better than the Kwikset version of the lock. The only problem comes when people use the blue key as a spare. :lol:

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Yes, in fact, they are bumpable, with the blue reset key cut at the 999 depths as mentioned above. I was skeptical of these locks when they first came out, so I purchased some for use to abuse and see how well they held up, the Kwikset version is complete junk but I so far think that the securekey is a very good lock, I have had no problems at all. I have in stock many of the blue key key blanks, because I suspect they will get to be harder and harder to find and I figure I can make some money rekeying them for people for a few years at least, because I think they are going to last a long time before they fall apart and start dissapearing off of peoples doors. Don't take these locks apart if ya aren't a patient person and can't remember where everything goes!!

And never throw away a blue key!

I never hand out the blue key to a customer. If they are calling me to rekey then they don't know what they have and I'm not telling them. As you said they are going to stop making the blue keys eventually so I keep the ones I cut for customers and rotate them. That way I'm conserving the uncut blue keys for when I really need them.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Riyame wrote:Yes, they are quite a bit better than the Kwikset version of the lock. The only problem comes when people use the blue key as a spare. :lol:
Odd, I've seen more issues with the Securekey locks than with Kwiksets version. They both suck, but in my experience Schlages version is absolutely junk.
<<

Riyame

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:46 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:
Riyame wrote:Yes, they are quite a bit better than the Kwikset version of the lock. The only problem comes when people use the blue key as a spare. :lol:
Odd, I've seen more issues with the Securekey locks than with Kwiksets version. They both suck, but in my experience Schlages version is absolutely junk.

Well, the kwikeset is/was made of mostly plastic and would easily break and you could bypass it by inserting a key and forcing it to rotate. I hear that they have changed this.

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Hmmm, I've read some articles about the lawsuit through Locksmith Ledger. But I think I'll try to use some marketing with the customer and tell them they are better off with a standard Schlage cylinder lock as it has fewer parts than the Securekey.

The fewer parts should give us fewer problems! But I'll still try to service them as best to my knowledge but prefer to work in my comfort zone until these locks become common place.

That's my opinion on these locks as of now! :)
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

nhoj_yelbom

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:23 am

mdchurchill wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:Yes, in fact, they are bumpable, with the blue reset key cut at the 999 depths as mentioned above. I was skeptical of these locks when they first came out, so I purchased some for use to abuse and see how well they held up, the Kwikset version is complete junk but I so far think that the securekey is a very good lock, I have had no problems at all. I have in stock many of the blue key key blanks, because I suspect they will get to be harder and harder to find and I figure I can make some money rekeying them for people for a few years at least, because I think they are going to last a long time before they fall apart and start dissapearing off of peoples doors. Don't take these locks apart if ya aren't a patient person and can't remember where everything goes!!

I never hand out the blue key to a customer. If they are calling me to rekey then they don't know what they have and I'm not telling them. As you said they are going to stop making the blue keys eventually so I keep the ones I cut for customers and rotate them. That way I'm conserving the uncut blue keys for when I really need them.

so now all your customers in the area could have the same key LOL
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 am

nhoj_yelbom wrote:
mdchurchill wrote:

so now all your customers in the area could have the same key LOL

No, that is why they get rotated over a broad period of time and spread out. I don't throw away the blue keys but I am always collecting them from customers.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Farmerfreak wrote:

They are really both junk, but I so far I think in my cases that Schlage has been the best. Nothing really beats the standard cylinders though and I can make a little money servicing both locks. I think Schlage is better off not making them let kwikset follow there same route and let there locks get worse and worse.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

LockAble

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:00 am

Farmerfreak wrote:

Same here. Two years ago kwikset had a contest to pick schlage's and their lock. Everyone picked the schlage's lock and only one guy got the kwikset.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:00 am

The problems we see in the shop are caused by folks using the reset key as an operating key. This will destroy the cylinder. We do let them have the blue key, and instruct them in how to use it as well as how NOT to use it. I have this thing about not withholding any parts of the customers' locks: If they buy it, it's ALL theirs.

Here's a link to the manufacturer of a tool you can use to reset a Smartkey, or a Securekey, when keys are lost.

http://www.advantagelockandkey.com/betterresetter.htm

HL Flake also carrys this tool.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:19 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:
Farmerfreak wrote:

They are really both junk, but I so far I think in my cases that Schlage has been the best. Nothing really beats the standard cylinders though and I can make a little money servicing both locks. I think Schlage is better off not making them let kwikset follow there same route and let there locks get worse and worse.

The Schlage SecureKey was tougher to bypass through semi-destructive methods. But these stupid buggers broke all the time. That little tab on the "key pin" that sets into the slider is so thin and delicate that it snaps off if the lock is operated with any kind of force. I've picked two of these SPP and that broke the lock too after a few times.

The Kwikset SmartKey has similar issues, but didn't fail as often as the Schlage. The Schlage version was a piece of crap.
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths