FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset even crappier.

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

Kwikset even crappier.

This has been mentioned already on a locksmith site, but I have seen it for myself now. What used to be metal, is now plastic in the stems for the kwiksets. I rekeyed a couple locks and installed a couple more couple days ago and one of them had a plastic stem, instead of metal. Can't believe they would go to this length to cheapen up an already cheap lockset.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

sandman

Post Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Kwikset even crappier.

i used to get mad too but business is business, think about how much money they are making! last i saw, it was some soft pot metal they were using, next they make their locks outta glass?! lol

by the way, i laughed so hard at the title of this thread!!! lol,
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 pm

The really sad thing is that Kwiksets locks are still a little bit more reliable than the Schlage SecureKey.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 28, 2011 12:06 am

the lockpickkid wrote:This has been mentioned already on a locksmith site, but I have seen it for myself now. What used to be metal, is now plastic in the stems for the kwiksets. I rekeyed a couple locks and installed a couple more couple days ago and one of them had a plastic stem, instead of metal. Can't believe they would go to this length to cheapen up an already cheap lockset.

We don't sell that particular KW but I've rekeyed a few that customers have brought in. There was even one that was broken before I could get it out of the package. People all the time ask what the best lock is and go and buy the cheapest one they can get instead.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat May 28, 2011 6:50 am

We sell Kwikset and Schlage where I work, but not many fork out the extra bucks for the Schlage, so, they get what they pay for.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat May 28, 2011 9:35 am

If a customer comes seeking a good lock, but doesn't know jack about quality, We normally start by showing them Medeco or MTL. Let them touch and handle the stuff. Then we bring out the Schlage. Finally, by the time they've had their hands on the Kwikset, they most often settle on the Schlage; but they also know there are better locks out there.
Nemo Malus Felix

Return to Professional Locksmiths