FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

latch protector screws

<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:48 pm

latch protector screws

I bought some latch protector's for in swinging doors. They have those screws that you can screw in, but you can not screw them back out again.

I know that you can cut a slot into the screw to back it out , but that wrecks the screw. Do they make a special tool to take them back out with out wrecking the screw ?

Thanks

selim
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: latch protector screws

Yes they do. Check out this link Selim!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Yes, they do, I have a tool for them, I had to buy one to fix a slide lock assembly on a bathroom partition in a business, I don't think it works all that great, but it does work. Not a common tool to find, that was my experience anyways.
I have it in my tool bag. Never gets used, but something to have.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:57 pm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kcCQPi9IL.jpg

The screwdriver tips in the top left can be sharpened in such a way to dig into the beveled side of those screws. If that doesn't work, dremel a slot in the screw.
<<

rbrande1

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:58 pm

If you only have a few to do, don't waste your money. Just use a sharp punch and a hammer to tap them out far enough to get a vise grip on them. Hammer straight down a few times to make a divot for the punch to dig into, them hammer at an angle to start to turn them out. You can try to use an automatic center punch also if you have one. This is how we remove shear head bolts from steering columns..they don't make a special driver for those. :smile:
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Most of these can be backed out using a standard straight slot screwdriver and a lot of pressure. Unless they have been tightened by a gorilla, they will back out. Push into the screw real hard!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Professional Locksmiths