FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tiny Mortise locks?

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Tiny Mortise locks?

I been doing some lock stuff for a guy in town, He showed me his business doors, it's an old building, but has double glass doors, for locks it has these tiny mortice locks, there about as big around as a quarter, never seen anything like this before have any of you guys? The key blank for this lock is a 1127dp or an h-27. I Just thought they were cool, and thought I would share. If he gets new doors the locks are mine, but it may be a long time till then.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: Tiny Mortise locks?

I've seen some small Yale Mortise cylinders, A few of us, Elbow, Kokomo, LSA, Edsmiley and myself went in on a lot of old Yale Safe Deposit Box locks, each of those has two small Yale mortise pin tumbler cylinders in it for the renter/guard locks. Besides Yale I haven't seen any miniature ones.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:48 pm

I just looked up the key blank, it's for really old Ford auto locks. Wierd.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 pm

They're affectionately caled, "Peanut Cylinders" by us oldies.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:39 pm

magician59 wrote:They're affectionately caled, "Peanut Cylinders" by us oldies.

Can you still get them? I haven't looked. I thought it was odd that this lock uses a Ford key blank, was used in the 50's and 60's I guess, single sided. I always learn new things everyday, no way anybody could know all this stuff in one lifetime. Keeps things interesting.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 pm

LPKid, Hurd made a lot of "peanut " cylinders and the aluminum store front locks that they went in. Several companys produced them in the late 50's thru the early 70's. The locks were not very durable, so they went by the way side.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:01 am

I ran into a lot of those locks in Memphis and Cincinnati. Those, and the Amerock telescoping store-front lock (using the four-pin yale cylinders, retained by a wire clip. Funny old stuff!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:03 am

Hurd made the peanut cylinders for aircraft during WWII. After the war , aluminum was used to make lightweight storefront doors because steel was scarce. The main reason for narrow sile doors was due to the available milling machines of the time and aircraft subcontacters needed work. These locks wre easily bypassed and insurance companies wanted evidence of brake-ins in order to justify paying a claim. So wider doors were made with longer throws that deadlocked, inovated by Adams-Rite.

Return to Professional Locksmiths