FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ez set

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Ez set

Appreciate it Gringo. I thought I knew, but yours seem to make sense... so now I'm not so sure.

I thought the master key would be useful for the construction of and/or sales of the homes.
Once sold, a different key is issued to the customer thereby eliminating the extra step of
rekeying. As well as the time and money that it would take.

Although I'm curious about the master keying, I'm even more curious about the servicing
of these locks. Yes I agree the best thing to do is replace the piece of shit... but that's
rarely what the owner wants.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:07 am

Re: Ez set

Oldfast wrote:I haven't reached any definite conclusions on servicing these (hoping you'll help).
But I think we can all agree if using a KW1 blank, we must use Kwikset pins too.
The other option, as decoy mentioned, is to re-arrange the existing pins. But given the
inconsistencies, cutting a key for the new configuration may prove to be a cluster-fuck.

I never even thought to hunt around for an EZ1 blank to rekey one of these. They're intended to be Kwikset clones, and KW1 blanks work just fine. I've observed that some people even use KW1 blanks in Weiser locks, but that's a bridge too far for me. I will say that even though I carry around a Kwikset rekey kit, I normally use LAB pins to rekey Kwikset locks, and they often vary by .002" from the intended pin size. The tolerance in a Kwikset lock is such that it doesn't make a difference. It makes even less of a difference in the cheaper EZ Set lock.

If you want to cut a good key for the existing pins, you don't have to rely on a code cutting machine. You could always do it by hand.
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths