FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Corbin and Russwin Master Ring resources

<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:32 am

Corbin and Russwin Master Ring resources

I'm learning about Master Ring cylinders by Corbin and Russwin, and I'm looking for recommendations for further reading on the topic.

So far I've poured through the Corbin Russwin cylinder manual, Robert Sieveking's The Locksmith Guide to Interchangeable Core Cylinder Service which has a good chapter on it, and Rich Howard's lengthy youtube video and document. I know Gerry Finch wrote a book in 1990 in his series on IC systems entitled Book 3: Servicing Interchangeable Cores and Master Ring Cylinders, but it seems impossible to find nowadays. I'd love to get a copy of that.

Unfortunately, a Master Ring system isn't something you run into every day. But I have some cylinders here, a PK-1070 pinning kit, and of course can cut the keys. So books and the internet it is. If anybody has additional recommendations I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:19 pm

Re: Corbin and Russwin Master Ring resources

One of the best resources out there is in the tech manual portion of this site https://lsamichigan.org/ The Corbin cylinder manual has all you could want to know. It is one of the best "cylinder" books ever written. This is the original black and white manual, not the newer color manual. If you are interested in a cylinder, send a PM.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:59 am

Re: Corbin and Russwin Master Ring resources

mastersmith wrote:One of the best resources out there is in the tech manual portion of this site https://lsamichigan.org/ The Corbin cylinder manual has all you could want to know. It is one of the best "cylinder" books ever written. This is the original black and white manual, not the newer color manual. If you are interested in a cylinder, send a PM.

Thanks for the reply and link to the LSA Michigan's tech manuals and your kind offer. I'll compare this original version of the Corbin cylinder manual with the 2016 version I have, and see if there's any new information. It's true -- the Corbin Russwin Cylinder Manual is amazing. I wish all manufacturer's resources were as detailed and thoroughly researched. Really terrific. As for Master Ring, the cylinder manual covers the basics of combinating and writing a KBA, but I was hoping to find a real world installation example with a 3 or 4-tier master key system to get a better big picture view of Master Ring in use.

Is there any master keying software that has a Master Ring option?

Return to Professional Locksmiths