FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old handcuffs

<<

Visitor

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:26 am

Old handcuffs

Any tips on how these work? Are they a sprung latch or a proper bolt?
How does the key work? Does it unscrew or pull a pin?

They need opening and restoring with a new key but they are so corroded inside they are solid.
The pins/shafts have no shapes or markings on their ends so either a shape the key fitted has worn or snapped off or they work some other way.

I don't normally come across these, in fact it's my first time having to work with handcuffs, I've had them since November last year and need to get them out the shop.

Any pointers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Re: Old handcuffs

Are the shafts/pins in the keyway threaded? If so, an internally threaded key likely screwed onto the shaft, whilst bearing upon the face of the keyway, thus pulling the shaft towards the mouth of the keyway.

Edit to add : upon closer inspection they look like cuffs made by Hiatt, which do indeed operate as described above. They could be the Hiatt 101 or Hiatt Best Darby model as depicted here : http://www.ushandcuffs.com/files/Hiatt_Best.jpg

Here is a video of slightly different Hiatt handcuffs that operate in the same manner, showing the action of the key at about 1:45 onwards https://youtu.be/TFG6BunbnYk

Hope that helps,

...mercurial
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 am

Cheers for your reply. Unfortunately the shafts are all smooth, I thought they may be the threaded kind but couldnt see evidence of any threads having being there but I will have another better look. Shafts are around 4mm diameter.

I did try to see if the locking part was moveable like a latch, I could get a thin wire down but I couldn't get anything to move. I suspect they've been in a garden for the last 40 years.

I'll have another good look for any evidence of threads.
<<

Visitor

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:47 am

Nope, no threads or any evidence of threads.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 am

Maybe just a nose to grab the threading of the key?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Visitor

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:15 pm

I've made a mistake, with a better light and scope there is threading visible, it's badly corroded but its there.
I've tried a few methods of grabbing the rod but I can't get the pin to move at all.
Now i know its threaded I'm going to make a tip with an alloy end I can wind down then hopefully pull on the pin while I adjust the cuff body with a tapometer.
I really don't want to heat them at this stage but a night in the freezer might not do any harm.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:03 pm

Not sure if it pulls out or if you thread the key on then continue turning to unscrew the latch.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Visitor

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 pm

I think as mercurial suggested it possibly just bottoms out then further screwing pulls the pin out as you suggest also but they are solid with corrosion.
I can however move the latch from the other end on one of them with a small wire but I can't retract it much I'm wondering if the latch and pin are no longer joined, moving the latch doesn't move the pin.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Visitor wrote:I think as mercurial suggested it possibly just bottoms out then further screwing pulls the pin out as you suggest also but they are solid with corrosion.
I can however move the latch from the other end on one of them with a small wire but I can't retract it much I'm wondering if the latch and pin are no longer joined, moving the latch doesn't move the pin.

Late to the party, but two possible things to try are rust penetrant to free things up inside, and making a hook of some decent music wire or windshield wiper blade inserts to grab the spring that pushes the screw/plunger in the middle of the lock away from the keyway, hook that spring, and pull it outwards. You may also be able to do a combination of the above and shim the shackle while pulling the spring.

Those handcuffs work pretty much the same way as the locks in this post.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Professional Locksmiths