FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need advice on Kwikset Masterkeying

<<

surelocksmith

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:47 am

Need advice on Kwikset Masterkeying

I currently do some masterkey work on homes for landlords. I usually do the math so they can use their current master key. I have been contacted to rekey an assistant living facility with memory care. All the locks are kwikset and keyed to one key. They have about 75 resident units of which about 50 have single deadbolts along with the lever locks. (This I am not sure is allowed.) It appears I will have go with a Master Key and some sub-master keys. Here is my concern and first question. Can Kwikset locks handle sub -masterkeying knowing their tolerances tend to be a little loose and sloppy. I would not be as concern if it was Schlage, Yale, Wiser, etc. I worry about the pins hanging up causing the keys not to work well. I plan to purchase the Aerokey Master Keying Software for this job so I don't have a crossover problem. I recently purchased the Extreme Pro key cutting machine to help with more precise key cutting. Will I be okay?

My second question has to do with bidding on this job. Since I have to cut new change keys for every lock with duplicates, do I charge a little extra for this. I plan on charging $18 each to master key all locks, $5 to cut the change keys, $2 for duplicates. Should I include a set up charge and one service call as well? I have not bid on a job this large before and don't know the practice. Any advice on pricing this job out?

Lastly, the AHJ (Fire Marshall) has been round and round with this client I am told. I thought about researching the NFPA 101 for code compliance since I am also a CFDAI. We all know how politics can be so I not sure I want to raise any concerns. I just want to do the locksmith work if I can.

Not sure if I sure walk away from bidding on this job or go for it.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mark
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:55 am

Re: Need advice on Kwikset Masterkeying

Sounds like a real challenge.
Keys for a Memory facility? "I lost my key" .
"I Lost the Master key".
This could be a real money maker or drive you insane.
Do you have a lot of locksmiths on your staff to help you, or is this something you do on your own?
<<

surelocksmith

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:30 pm

A challenge indeed. Have you ever done a Kwikset job with masters and submaster keys with 75 or more units? If it were Schlage, I wouldn't be so concerned. I just worry about the small tolerance between the number of keys and pins I will have to use that may cause the key to get hung up in a Kwikset. I plan to cut some keys and experiment in a few minutes.

And no, I don't have any help. It's just me. I may have a retired locksmith that I might could recruit. That is another concern. I usually get 3-5 calls a day for lockouts, making auto keys, house rekeys, etc. I will have to give up some business to do this by myself. Not sure it is worth it unless they want to give me 1-2 weeks to get it done in the evenings.

Thanks for replying.
Mark
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Kwikset has such a large step between bitting depths that I’d think that you wouldn’t have an issue with single step.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

surelocksmith

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Gordon,

Thanks a lot. That is what I was wanting to know. Appreciate you help man.

Mark
<<

surelocksmith

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:07 pm

Gordon,

You know, I should have known that because Schlage has more pinning spaces thus smaller bittings. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Mark
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:22 pm

At work HPC masterking is the software we use to set up master key systems. Only one customer I can think of comes to mind, that uses Kwikset. I would say most are schlage or Best.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Out of curiosity, is it a five or six pin Kwikset lock? I’m guessing a five.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:59 pm

The one I was referring to has a 5 pin and 1 through 6 for depths. I haven't ran a crossed a system that has the 7th depth. One master key then maybe 30 change keys.
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 am

Here's a few pregenerated master key charts for Kwikset that you might be able to use without paying for software...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

surelocksmith

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:10 am

I think they are 5 pin but haven't checked yet. Just wanted to say "thank you" to all. Especially, you madsamurai for the charts, although the wife could not download them for some reason. All you guys are super and I appreciate your advice. It's nice for us guys who sole in the locksmith business without a crew to have other sources of advice. It makes us more competitive and competent. This is a great site and I will use it more in the future.

Mark
<<

madsamurai

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:31 pm

I assume you mean she can't open them? Try right clicking on the files and telling it to open with your text editor. If that doesn't work, try changing the file extensions from .ASC to .txt
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:52 pm

I am going to reply to your questions about pricing. You know how fast you work, what you need to make on the job and therefor how much to charge per lock. I will talk about the "set up fee". It is common practice to give the customer a choice of purchasing the system you write (or use) or not to purchase it. If they purchase it, they will have control over who uses it in the future. If they don't purchase it, then it is yours and will probably guarantee return work, as you will be the only one that will easily integrate new combinations into the system. I do know some that don't give them the option, therefor guaranteeing only they have the system. Either way it takes time to put one together and you should be compensated for that time. Either with initial purchase or return business.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

surelocksmith

Post Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Mastersmith,

Great advice. If I get the bid, I will give my customer the option to purchase the system. It only makes sense.
Appreciate you man.

Mark

Return to Professional Locksmiths