FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Checking if locksmith is really a Aloa member

<<

pickmonger2

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Checking if locksmith is really a Aloa member

Is it possible to verify if someone is really an Aloa member or just copying the logo on to their site.

They have a large collection of pirated books listed right above the Aloa logo as training resources.

I assume Aloa would not like that.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Re: Checking if locksmith is really a Aloa member

Check here. If they do not pop up send ALOA an email to let them know. http://www.aloa.org/membership/aloa-member-directory.html
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:26 am

Also when advertising ALOA membership they have to display a membership number.

A locksmith being an ALOA member certainly does not guarantee they are a good locksmith or they have good ethics.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:59 am

mdc5150 wrote:Also when advertising ALOA membership they have to display a membership number.

A locksmith being an ALOA member certainly does not guarantee they are a good locksmith or they have good ethics.

It's not your Member Number, it's a different "Logo Licensing Number" that is assigned when you join. Even if they are legitimate members, they can be cited (or even sued) for not properly displaying the logo with license.

You could also contact the authors of the books in question, as I imagine they will fiercely protect their copyright.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:16 pm

I know of many GREAT LOCKSMITHS who are not members of ALOA!

I've read about certain institutions who wouldn't hire if they are not ALOA, but I think this is BS.

ALOA is just another tax scheme to me. We already have to pay in some states a locksmith license, sometimes we have to pay the city besides the State for being a lockmith. Then we have to pay sales tax for our merchandise, etc.

Too much tax equals no more businesses in my mind.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 am

Chief, You seem a bit cynical about ALOA dude! It is worth what you are willing to put into it. There are some terrific resources available through them. And granted, it wasn't always the case. I also know some terrific locksmiths that aren't members, they are also the ones that many times struggle when new procedures and products come out. My current employment "prefered" a proficiency rating, and were willing to pay for me to get one. If for no other reason than to have some proof that I was serious about my craft. (EDIT* I was already a CPL rated member and did not require them to put me through the testing. I am happy that they will pay my dues and support my on going training.)
When I was in the private sector, I had a couple of major corporations that would not allow you to bid on work unless you had a rating. Getting one of these bids more than justified membership. With the added bonus, if they like my work, many of the smaller jobs (no bid required) would just automatically be mine instead of "shopping around".
So you can use ALOA as a resource, or not. But it most definately is not a "tax".
Last edited by mastersmith on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:11 pm

I have been a happy member of ALOA since 1978 wouldn't have it any other way. :mrgreen:

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 am

I guess I am cynical. I've been to manufacturer's training classes where they then give you a certificate as we are now qualified to work on that lock even though we don't have much experience.

But I do have a book that talks about all the classes and I can become less cynical as I hear more about ALOA and CLA. I do remember one Medeco instructor who wasn't too happy about one of the organizations, I think they said he wasn't qualified to lecture or something like that.

To each his own I guess.

I remember calling a safe company requesting a key to open a safe and they asked if I was an ALOA or SAVTA member. I told them no but I do got a locksmith license and work for a locksmith company. So we sent them the license and got what we wanted.

CLH!
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 am

Hey Chief, just keep an open mind. Thirty years ago my opinion was much different. It was the contract bidding that made me take a second look. ALOA started as a "good old boy" kind of an organization, if you know what I mean. The advent of government intervention seems to have forced them to become more professional. To remain viable as a professional organization they had to get more serious about their function within the trade.

They now have a terrific training program, which should have been the case the whole time, and it wasn't. Is it for everyone? Probably not. If I couldn't take advantage of the training, there would be no reason for me to belong. The training opportunities are regional and may not "fit" everyone's schedule and budget. If you can make it work for you, and I do recommend you try, it can increase your bottom line considerably. Remember to study the aspects that will have a return on investment. Everybody's situation is different.

I am giving serious consideration to being certified as an instructor. I am looking at retirement in a few years and need some sort of plan! It seems to me that passing along what I have learned would be a great way to give back to a trade that has treated me very well. Oh well,I'm off on a tangent now, sorry!

Back to training. Many manufacturers offer product exclusive training that is very good. The downside is that it is taught (most times) by a salesman, they know how to sell not how to maintain. I would bet the Medeco guy you mentioned had been told their product could be picked, they hate that! Manufacturers normally don't care if you belong to a professional group or not. Their focus is on selling their product and supporting those that sell their product.

ALOA training is both general and specific product. Example: GSA containers would give an overview of the specifications, then each lock or container that qualify for certification. One course I have taken that was not worth the time was the lock picking course. You will learn more here in an hour than in an all day class.

Like I said, tailor the plan to fit YOUR needs and it can be a terrific move. Good luck buddy!
Last edited by mastersmith on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm a member,,, and I suck : )
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks guys, I do try to keep an open mind but sometimes habit is bad and sometimes habit is good.

Just got to determine what is best for me right now and I don't think joining ALOA will benefit me at the moment.

I do want to join SAVTA as I am interested in safes and our company currently sells Gardall and Horizon floor safes.

I was thinking about working in Hawaii as a locksmith and saw a job opening there but they wanted an ALOA locksmith with their qualifications so that left me out. Sigh....

Thanks for all your input.

Thanks again.

CLH!
Last edited by chieflittlehorse on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 pm

selim wrote:I'm a member,,, and I suck : )

Anyone who can get stuck cores out of IC locks like you did for me is only being humble rather than exposing their real locksmith superpowers. ALOA member or not, you're allright by me :) Thanks again.

--Ted
<<

selim

Post Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Tpark, I do get lucky sometimes : ) . I'm not a bad locksmith but suck at picking, and I've been at it for a while. I just don't practice enough. I can usually find other methods to get the job done.

Return to Professional Locksmiths