FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Crosskeying

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Crosskeying

So here's was my mess. The key bittings have been changed but I wanted to show you guys how I dealt with crosskeying.

I made my own chart in a certain format where you lay out the keys and then at the bottom you figure out the bitting.

You still have to cross reference to see what other keys might work the lock, but you masterkeying experts already know how to do that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:33 am

Re: Crosskeying

One comment that i have to make on your chart:
Whenever possible , try to use job description or function instead of the people's names.
That way , a few of the people will have the same key , and you can make the system a little less complex.
But most importantly , suppose the system works without a problem for around 5 years , but then they need a new key for a new employee. The client will look at the chart , and first thing he will say is: "Who's Jonathan?". A few of the people will not work there any more , or will have a new function in the company. That will make the chart very unclear.
If you use the functions or job description , it will make it easier to order new keys for new employees.
Same goes for the doors. Suppose Ruben doesn't work there any more , who will get his office , and will it be changed on the chart ?

I like the idea with the bitting. Just make sure to thoroughly check for phantom keys , there is a lot of pins in some of your cylinders.

Also , really cool you get to do a master key system for a Corvette factory.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
Previous

Return to Professional Locksmiths