FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Got another chance of being out in the field!

<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Got another chance of being out in the field!

I got a chance of being out in the field again and this time it was at a construction site doing change combinations.

The first lock was easy and I had decoded the key for that lock at the shop because it worked all 7 of the exterior doors. When I did the second lock I had a problem. I had to rekey the locks to a 6 pin key and the cylinders where keyed to 5 pin with the 6th chamber being empty. So when I put the follower in the cylinder, the 5th TP fell into the 6th chamber of the plug. So my key was stuck in their. Arrrgghh!

Anyways, after trying to fix it for 10 minutes I just moved on the other locks because I felt that the foreman was probably watching me. So after I am at the last lock and I just loosed up the set screw and the cylinder would not spin out easy as I think they stripped the threads when installing that cylinder. It was an Adam's Rite lock.

So after I took my lunch break I came up with a solution. I removed the inside thumb turn, stuck a business card below the cylinder so I can remove the screws on the cam. The business card was to make sure the cam screws won't fall down into the door. Oh yeah, by this time I had fixed the previous lock mentioned above my raking it back into position, whew!

So now I used the key to turn the plug and stuck the follower into the cylinder while it's still mounted in the lock. I carefully loaded the top pin into the 6th chamber then loaded up the plug and finished the change combination.

I then called my boss and told him I was finished. My coworker said he was very proud on my finishing up so early.

This was just day 1. I still have 2 days to go but that's another story for another time if you guys are interested.

CLH!
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:07 am

Re: Got another chance of being out in the field!

Yes please.

As a non Lock Smith I really enjoy reading about problems that you guys come across in the field and how you solve them.

Even routine events I find interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:43 am

Mortise cylinders can get bound up really tight for a variety of reasons. Cross threading is one, another is when the hole for the cylinder on the door does not line up especially well. If you are having trouble getting a cylinder out or in loosen the mounting screws a bit and you might find that bind ease up. When you go to install the cylinder look in the hole and see if it is centered on the lock body. With the mounting screws loosened you can move that lock body around enough to get the cylinder to screw in easily.

Another thing that can happen, you have one cylinder screwed in too far so when you try to put the other cylinder in the lock body is pulled over too far to get the second one in.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Great story mate. Keep them coming.
<<

chieflittlehorse

Post Sun May 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Okay, before I forget my 2nd and 3rd day at the construction site was pretty routine.

I finished the first building which I only had to replace the cylinders with 1-1/8" mortise cylinders with a Schlage E keyway. Some of the cylinders should have been 1" as some cylinders stuck out but this was from the inside of the building, the outer cylinders had rings. This building will be rekeyed again after construction is complete though.

The second building I had to work in a dusty and dark basement. It would have helped to bring along kneepads as I was rekeying locks on a concrete floor. A small fold up chair and a portable light source would have been handy too.

On the third day I had to do 6 more locks. I forgot my picks at the shop and was trying to bump the cylinder. I then tried to remove the lock from to door to see if I can disassemble it. That's when one of the workers asked me if I needed the key.

I was like, of course. Now why didn't I bother to asked them in the first place if they had the key, haha.

I still had to bump the last cylinder and then finished up my work.

There was only a slight problem when a sub contractor wanted me to open the door so they could finish up their work. He wanted me to lend him a masterkey. I opened the door for him but thought maybe I shouldn't have because the electrician had locked that door because he had his tools inside.

After calling my boss about the situation, I already knew what he was going to tell me, that NO, don't give anyone the key.

I stood around until the electrician came back and he said it was alright for them to work on that door, so he knew that door was open.

I think next time I will just say that I don't have any keys that open any lock and that I am just rekeying.

-CLH
You leave my GRAPHITE alone!!!
<<

Neilau

Post Mon May 18, 2015 12:46 am

Again thanks.

I know it takes time to write up.

I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate your effort.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon May 18, 2015 6:39 am

Glad to hear the job is going well Chief. keep up the good work and I am enjoying the stories so keep them coming. I also like the idea of you sharing them here as this way you are keeping a journal of sorts for posterity. Who knows maybe one day you could write a book.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Mortise locks were always my least favorite because of difficulty threading cylinders in.(In fact they're still my least favorite lol) Glad you figured out a way to make it easier

Return to Professional Locksmiths