FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Broken key

<<

scudo

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Broken key

I have to go over to my sons tomorrow to try and `fix` his lock problem. It is a Euro style lock and the key is broken in it, Now the tool I had to try and drag the key out he borrowed and left it in Amsterdam so have done a quickie version from a hacksaw blade, I will also take a junior hacksaw blade to try and drag it out.
Failing that should I be able to get the lock out of the door as it can be opened from one side. I ask because looking at mine and assuming the euro lock is held in place by a screw from the side I cant see that in mine and at this late stage dont want to start messing with mine and dismantling things, and in any case it maybe an entirely different construction.
I dont have an image to show as yet so just trying to cover my options before I go over.

Any thoughts?
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Re: Broken key

You can streighten out a fishing hook.....they work well.

Steve
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 pm

A coping saw blade is often good for this purpose.

If you can't dig it out, you can remove the set screw from the profile of the door—which is sometimes hidden by a removable plate—and then use a flathead screwdriver to rotate the plug until the cam is lined up with the body of the cylinder and then slide the entire thing out of either side of the door. Then bang the cylinder against the edge of your workbench until the key falls out.

Or if you manage to get the cylinder out of the door but still can't get to the key, throw it in a drawer and go down to the hardware store to buy a new one, telling yourself that you'll deal with it when you have more time.
<<

scudo

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:35 pm

I reckon one way or the other I will get the lock out but I only have until Sunday to sort it, I have a couple of cheapo Euro locks that I use for picking so can replace with them if needs be. In any case I will retain the `broken` one for home use :-)

Yes I think I still have some coping saw blades....must check.
<<

Altashot

Post Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Broken key extractors are best, but I too have use a small fishing hook. Of course the hook must have a barb to "bite" into the key.
My hooks were hardened so I had to heat it up before straitening it out. I figured that out after I broke one.

When it fails, or if I can't even get a "bite" because of the way it broke, I take a 3/64" drill bit and drill a hole in the broken key itself then use a hook in the little hole or a spiral extractor; it screws into the hole.
Drilling sometimes nicks the keyway a little but unless you really drill into it, the plug will be fine.
If the lock can be removed, you can try pushing the broken piece from the back of the cylinder towards the front or push it through out the back.

If you don't have actual extractors, the fishing hook is your best bet.

Have fun!

M.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:07 am

what gringo said - can be a real ball ache sometimes to remove snapped keys

good luck today & await the results ! lol

Extractor set - used to grab key and pull broken key from lock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

scudo

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:32 pm

So when I get there I discover that although the door can be unlocked from the outside the letting agent for the property has the spare keys. I managed to use the broken part of the key pressing hard against the other half to rotate it and open the door so now I can get access to remove the lock. But the screw that holds the lock in place has a knackered head, with a bit of jiggery pokery I managed to get the screw out and eventually the lock out.
The key had broken at the shoulder so zero room to get anything in there to drag the broken part out. As my son was only in the country for 48 hours and the old tenant had gone he said he would get new locks anyway as a precaution so he would bring the old lock over to me on his way back to the airport.
I got the lock tonight and I managed to get the broken part out with some tapping and levering with a very small screwdriver and then some tweezers.
So now I have another lock to practice some lock picking on :-)
The lock is a 5 pin Zoo MK5 which I believe to be bog standard with no security pins.

All that is left for me to do is fix his toilet cistern and paint 2 rooms and I can get back to lock picking! It is nice to have children that are doing well in life but they are a bloody intrusion on my retirement hobbies :-(
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:31 am

Getting too good at this stuff now scudo - I hear you on getting time for hobbies - and the fun stuff - not sure I have heard of this lock though
<<

scudo

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:53 am

not sure I have heard of this lock though

Found this link on utube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90P4I4NL-sc
<<

Bigdog

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:40 am

The ZOO 5pin euro cylinder is a pretty easy pick you should have no trouble with that , also you might want to get yourself a pack of scroll saw blades cut the ends off then cut the blades in half, they make real good key extractors and it will only cost you about £5.00 for 10 blades making 20 broken key extractors, but beware use them in a pin vice or put some tape around the end you are holding they will slice through your fingers very easily (I found out the hard way).
I have also seen an advertisement for a ZOO 5 lever sashlock it's said to be an ERA Fortress replacement but I have not seen one so I will hold off judgement on the quality of them till I have seen one for myself.
Cheers Tony. :slainte:
<<

scudo

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:07 pm

I have some coping saw blades somewhere so will make a couple out of them.

Coming back to the broken key in the rear door, I have a bigger problem as son wants to change the front door lock and the fixing bolt head is mangled and locked solid (probably corrosion) I have thumped with a hammer but it wont budge. The lock works ok but as a tenant has just left he wants the lock changed.

I have taken off all the covers/handles but cant access the anchor bolt (was thinking of hacksaw). To try and drill out the bolt I doubt as it is too long for drill accuracy. I could make a jig of some sort but then the drill bit would probably be too short.

My best option appears to be to thump it with a hammer and get it to split at the weak point where the bolt holds it.

If anyone has got other ideas let me know. :-(
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:42 pm

This sounds like a great excuse to get some new tools—namely, a broken screw extractor set.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Call out at this housing estate awhile back - every house had a euro lock - fitted in this way :shock: wtf very hard to believe even now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Can you slide a hacksaw along the side of the cylinder and cut the bolt that way? That way you can save the cylinder. Maybe get one of those little blade holder handles to make it easier
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

scudo

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:22 pm

This sounds like a great excuse to get some new tools—namely, a broken screw extractor set.

Already have those but not even going to attempt it as this is locked solid.

Doogs..... Had a look at that but zero space, the housing the lock fits in to disappears in to the wooden door.

When next over I will get some pics as I also have a question regarding the lock, when the lock is in position within the door there is a metal housing in two parts they come together from each side of the door and is held in place with a bolt and I was wondering if this is something to prevent someone trying to `snap` the lock. I am ok because I can take this part off.
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths