FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

safe work: drilling -THRU- a glass relocker....?

<<

machinist

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:24 am

safe work: drilling -THRU- a glass relocker....?

So I'm shooting the shit with an old timer box jockey and he swears to me he used to purposely fire glass re lockers and deal with them after he defeated the safe and he would even on occasion use a diamond drill bit to slowly drill through the glass relocker without completely shattering the glass fireing the re locker. Is this possible?
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

Re: safe work: drilling -THRU- a glass relocker....?

i had never heard of it being done but anything could be possible.
my one and only attempt at going through the glass......failed. had to drill for relockers. time consuming.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

machinist

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:41 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251523557881?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I ordered up some super cheap diamond bits going to try a little experiment on tempered glass when I get them and also some hardened steel plate to see how they do.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 pm

a video would be nice.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

JamesOzment1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Better watch hangin out with old timers.they will sometimes tell you stories just to see if your a gullable guy.some of them just like to talk.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:31 pm

If he truly has a reliable and cost-effective method of drilling holes in tempered glass, he could make a LOT of money in the glass industry. Cutting and drilling tempered glass is the holy grail of glass work. It's just not done, at least from everything I've ever been told by glaziers.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Would love to see some videos of the attempt. Please at least keep us informed. Even if the attempts fail, we may get an idea based on what we see.

One word of caution... Slow!!! Use very light pressure and speed to reduce the forces imparted on the glass. Don't get buck fever and rush it right at the end, either. All tempered glass needs is an excuse to create a tiny crack, and it's all over.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Use to do a lot of stain glass work. Never heard of anyone cutting or drilling tempered glass. All the cutting and shaping has to be done before it is tempered.
If it is a two piece auto glass with the plastic inside you might have a chance but I have never heard of it being done. ( think I did see 007 do it once now that I think about it)
Good luck and wear safety glasses when you try anything.
Steve
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:08 pm

I once wanted to get an aquarium bottom drilled to install a sump filter. I talked to a glass shop and was told that it was impossible.
Someone is pulling your leg.

The glass shop owner explained:

-When glass is tempered, it is heated to a specific temperature for a specific time and then it is rapidly cooled.
some glass are liquid cooled, some are air jet cooled depending on the desired degree of hardness or flexibility one wants to achieve.
It all happens at a molecular level. Basically, when the outside of the glass is rapidly cooled, it thermally contracts while the interior,
still warm, cools at a different rate. It changes the molecular structures. This creates a glass that has it's exterior in tension while the interior is in compression.
It is a very fine "balancing act". So fine, that even during manufacture, even with a controlled process, in a controlled environment, some glass will still break while cooling due to an improper balance.
Anything that disturb this balance, heat, cold, impact, even a tiny scratch can make the two forces, compression and tension win/lose against each other.
Then we all know what happens...We get a million little glass cubes.

Tempered glass brill bits can be found at your local hardware store, right next to the brass magnets, metric pipe wrenches and left hand hammers.

M.
<<

machinist

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 pm

well I'll be putting on gloves and saftey glasses and seeing what happens. Maybe the drill bits might work on some carbide hardplate?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:20 pm

Have never heard of tempered glass being except with a laser. Also heard that part of what makes glass into tempered glass is the ingredients in the glass. (That may or may not be true, but thought it was so).

But how many things were once thought impossible until someone did it? How many people do things daily that were once thought impossible? Travelling 80 miles per hour (Twice as fast as a horse!!!), flying through the air in a metal vehicle, picking a lock?

Again, don't know any way of drilling tempered glass. But someone may come up with a way of doing so as long as nobody stops them from trying.

As long as proper safety precautions are followed, the only problem will be what to do with the broken glass. If I were to attempt it, would use a diamond bit at slow speed and hardly any pressure, as stated above.

It was once said, even recently, that an Abloy Protec could not be picked. There is now a tool that supposedly can do it, albeit not quickly. No reliable tool for picking even a Classic Abloy. But HuxleyPig has made a tool that does exactly that. (Great job, Hux).

So give it a shot! Follow the recommended safety precautions, and do it in a place where it is easy to pick up the pieces. Take vids and pictures. Maybe you will be able to succeed. Even Thomas Edison had thousands of failed light bulbs before he produced a single working one.

Gordon

P.S. - Altashot - the hardware store just sold out of the brass magnets. :evil: Every time I think to stop by and get one, they are out of stock. Oh well. ;)
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Josephus

Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:55 pm

Tempered glass can be ground. I have two 1/4" plates that I had rounded off. I have seen slits ground into the edge of tempered glass for an almost-right fit. ASTM C1048 warns against it and all. Internal stress being the thing that needs to be overcome. Maybe just the edge is stable enough to be carefully worked. Worth a try anyway.

Remember, Medecos can't be picked. Everyone knows that. :wink:
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 am

I don't know much about relockers (hope to learn more about safes, one day!) I hope this does not detract from your question, machinist, correct me if it does. Here's some cool stuff I've learned about glass:
You can cut glass, including tempered glass, with a plasma cutter (there are ways to prevent cracking, but they are generally only practical to an industrial setting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f34LdyvHmvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdCfigUKyQ.
Not necessarily related to tempered glass, but good information on glass cutting none-the-less: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXngPx3w3M
<<

machinist

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:22 pm

total dead end not even work filming just me cleaning up a bunch of glass. And the hardware store manager was PISSED when he saw what I was doing in the window isle j/k....

I'm keeping these bits to see if they do anything against carbide/steel hardplate. Anyone ever try using cheapo diamond bits on HP?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 pm

machinist wrote:total dead end not even work filming just me cleaning up a bunch of glass. And the hardware store manager was PISSED when he saw what I was doing in the window isle j/k....

ROFLMAO!!!

Gordon
Next

Return to Professional Locksmiths