FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I want to MASTER BEST LOCKS!

<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Re: I want to MASTER BEST LOCKS!

I just wanted to share some updates. I recently purchased two of the books Jeff recommended. I bought the National Locksmith SFIC: Advanced and also the one written by Don O Shall. Fun Fact:I bought it directly from Mr. O Shall off of ebay. I also managed to track down my own Best Lock Combinator (AD432) in M Keyway and also a Capping Press.

Then today I spent a few minutes picking on one of my many Best Lock padlocks, and managed to pick a core out. I have only the master keys for these locks (13 total) so hopefully they share common control keys. Im very excited about this!

Hopefully after a lot more practice, I will be able to start a small profitable operation.

Last edited by mister sour on Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:20 pm

Actually, it looks like 14 total ;)
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Yeah! Nice job! My book also came directly from Don on eBay.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:43 pm

My simple set up, ready to decode the core. I only need the top pins so I can decode the control key.

Heres the pin book. Look at those master pins! Its a miracle I picked it to control! I like to remove the caps and springs and separate the top pins from the rest of the stacks. That way I can easily grab the top pins with my caliper and get quick measurements.

Here what the key cut codes look like. You measure the top pins in each pin stack and match it with a pin id#. Then you subtract the pin id# from 13 and that gives you the key cut depth number.

Heres what the keys look like. Luckily, the control key works for every core!

This one is for you Jeff. Jeff corrected me. I thought I had M keyway cores because of the marking of the keys, but he noticed the key way was open enough "to drive a truck through." Thanks Jeff ;)

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:35 pm

A lot of times when you have customers using stuff like WD40 in sfic cores the core will be very hard to pull out. Even when you drill the core it will not pull. So I will often use a self tapping screw and drive it into the keyway. It spins it in the right direction then you can grab the screw with vice grips and pull it out.
20140616_160932.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Good tip, MDC. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:18 am

Below is a pinning chart that would go with a 2 step master key system. The last 3 chambers are the chambers you would progress on a single page so they are written out with all the pinning you would need for any combination on that page. It saves you an enormous amount of time. Normally I have them printed out from a computer but I didn't want to show any customers files obviously.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:46 am

I love this stuff. Master pinning three chambers makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the chart visual aid!
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:06 pm

That's some fine fun work you doing there mister sour, I'm interested in seeing how things go for ya. Best locks are fun as hell to pick, one of my favorites :)
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:31 pm

I just wanted to share a little about my progress. I made a trade with subsonic, a member here. He sent me 22 Best Lock "G" kwy cylinders with NO keys. AWESOME! Thanks so much for the locks! They all were easy to pick and it was evident that they were master keyed. It started to irritate me. I wanted to know what the master key was. So my trip began!

These were the first two cores I randomly selected. I dumped them into my lab annex and meticulously measured each pin and charted the pin id number codes. To the right u can see where I was about to run through all possible key cut combos, but I thought that would be a waste of time.

Here I took a core that belonged to a different sub system. This is where I found my code. This is untested however. I dont have the blanks to cut ad to test the code but im sure this is it. Its circled, just like the control code.

This is possibly my most important tool. It precisely measures the pins so I know what to cut the keys too and so I can track pin code patterns. Obviously, its a manual dial caliper.

Heres my set up. I have a vintage capping press and my vintage Keymak (pre-ProLok) Punch. They are my favorite tools. Riyame has a Best Lock combinator here. I havenone too but mine is out of calibration.

Once I get my G blanks, I will be sure to update this and let everyone know if I found the master key, or grand master key rather.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Very cool Sour! Props to ya for tackling Best. Honestly, that shit really confuses me. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:59 am

Nice setup!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Neilau

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:55 am

Quote "He sent me 22 Best Lock "G" kwy cylinders with NO keys. AWESOME! Thanks so much for the locks! They all were easy to pick "

DAM !!!!

Oldfast kindly :twisted: sent me one with key and it has been driving me nuts ever since. :slam: :slam:

Xeo wrote:

"
You may find some BEST locks:

- Pick very easily to operating, control seems impossible
- Pick very easily to control, operating seems impossible
- Pick easily to operating CCW and easily to control CW
- Pick easily to operating both CW and CCW, control seems impossible
- Feel like you're endlessly setting pins and getting nowhere fast"

I've definitely got one of the last !!!! Getting nowhere forever !!! :hammering:

What's your secret? Magic pick?? :D

Very jealous and hats off to you. :salute:

Well done.

PS. They are quite rare down here and this is the only one I've ever got my hands on.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

escher7

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm

I love the vise! Can't read the name but it looks like a Wilton knock-off.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:22 pm

escher7 wrote:I love the vise! Can't read the name but it looks like a Wilton knock-off.

Thats a Master Force vise. Got it from Menards.
PreviousNext

Return to BEST