FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking BEST to control

<<

Manipulation

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Picking BEST to control

So someone called who had a 7 pin BEST SFIC on their door and locked out. I picked to control first before operating so I just took the lock out and opened the door with a screwdriver and put the lock back in. Is this frowned upon? I just completed the fowley belsaw course and got my certification a little while ago so I'm still new to this and not really a working locksmith yet, just testing the waters and doing calls for friends and friends of friends. So is doing something like this not good practice in the field?
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Re: Picking BEST to control

The door is open... mission accomplished. Whether you pick to operating or control doesn't matter... but I'd consider getting control more valuable in case you needed to actually remove the core. I'd say good work.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 pm

I agree with Xeo about control being more useful. A core removed by an unauthorized person is also a bigger risk to a customer, because a removed core can be decoded and keys made.

Good job on getting the lock picked. :-)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Manipulation

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Ok thanks! I'm still working on picking one of these to control or operating purposefully. Currently, I can pick it consistently but not to the one I want necessarily! :oops: How much should a 7 pin best sfic core cost? Most of them on ebay are sold in large groups or don't have pins. I was only able to find one for $22 and that seemed decent to me.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 pm

xeo wrote:The door is open... mission accomplished....
I agree. Doesn't matter how it happens... ya got it! Nice job.

Also, you may have already took a look, but Xeo's provided us with a wonderful WRITE-UP entailing his experiences with BEST
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Manipulation

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:58 am

Oh yes, that is a great article Oldfast. I have gone through and read many articles on here. Both you and Xeo's articles have helped me tons!

Return to BEST