FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Best lock core nightmare... please advise...

<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Best lock core nightmare... please advise...

Hey guys, perhaps you can help...

About two months ago while leaving a local store, I found a core from a Best lock on the ground. Great condition, seems to be in working order, however the first pin stack appears to be empty. The rest of the pin stacks are populated fine. Problem is, I've never once been able to pick this open. Not to regular or control, i've tried every technique imaginable, and nothing, ever. I'm wondering what you guys can tell me about this particular core. Could it be faulty with the missing front pin stack, or is it likely just a crazy bidding giving me hell. In my experience absent pin stacks are usually in the back, yet in this one the front in empty from what i can see. Here are some photos, thoughts would be great.

-Shearlock
:sfic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xeo: One day you're gonna come home and find your wife laying in bed naked with a medeco biaxial locking her chastity belt...
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: Best lock core nightmare... please advise...

These locks are hard enough to work even with the key. I wouldn't stress over the fact that you have yet to pick it open. The empty pin chamber seems like locksmith handy work.
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Indeed. I did some more investigation and the front pin cylinder is in fact empty as I thought. The rest of the pin stacks are under spring pressure, yet I will say the springs appear to be quite strong. The tension is stronger than i'm used to. When working on the back pin I really, really have to lever my pick with considerable force to fight the spring tension in the stacks.

:spring: Shearlock :spring:
xeo: One day you're gonna come home and find your wife laying in bed naked with a medeco biaxial locking her chastity belt...
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Best cores can sometimes have spool pins. That might give you some trouble but they are also sometimes just a bear to pick. It could have collapsed springs (somewhat common with the old copper Best springs.) or it could just be dirty. Don't sweat it if you can't pick it.

As for the first chamber, if you are talking about the chamber closest to the face of the core that is actually the last chamber. The reason that is important is because in some places they were started off with 6 pin cores. That means the keys all only have 6 cuts. If you come along later and need to replace a core or add a lock somewhere but all you have is 7 pin cores, the you leave the last chamber empty.
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:40 pm

When you say face, are you referring to the side you insert the key into? Silly question but I just want to be clear.

In this core, the empty stack is the stack closest to where you insert the key. I soooooo want to pick this, a compulsion driven by the fact that it refuses vehemently to open. I'm sure you understand!

:::Update:::
The core started moving by itself, then it spoke aloud. It confirmed that it does in fact hate me, and given it's way, it would kill me.

-Shearlock
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Shearlock wrote:When you say face, are you referring to the side you insert the key into? Silly question but I just want to be clear.

In this core, the empty stack is the stack closest to where you insert the key. I soooooo want to pick this, a compulsion driven by the fact that it refuses vehemently to open. I'm sure you understand!

:::Update:::
The core started moving by itself, then it spoke aloud. It confirmed that it does in fact hate me, and given it's way, it would kill me.

-Shearlock

Yes, the face of the core is where you insert the key.

As for the core speaking aloud it sounds like you have an evil one there, mature but evil. My cores usually just mock me and make me feel bad about my picking abilities.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Yes, he means the side where you put the key in.

Best keys are stopped by the tip of the key at the back of the lock rather than a shoulder on the face of the lock and all normal blanks are the same length. This means that they are pinned from back to front, reverse of what is true for normal locks. Because of this you can use the exact same key in 5, 6, and 7 pin cores as long as the key has enough cuts.

So as mdc5150 was saying, if your entire master system is made with 6 pin cores and all you have is a 7 pin core to replace one with, the "last" chamber at the front of the lock is left empty since none of the keys will have a cut in this position. If it makes it easier, imagine inserting the key from the back of the lock. In a traditional cylinder if the key is too short then they would leave the last chamber empty so it would work. It is a bit backwards but easy to understand once you get the hang of it.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Yes I understand now, thanks for that. I wasn't aware of backwards pinning of these. Learned something new.

As for this lock, I think you are right. It's evil.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:18 pm

If nothing else. Gut it for the learning experience.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:32 pm

I worked on a core for someone this past week that was 6 pin but only pinned in 5 chambers. People do weird stuff!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:34 pm

OK, try this on for size. Get a shim from a security tag, and shim the control shear line from the back of the lock.

Shim it until the control lug turns. Turn it back, and pull it out one pin, so you now have a 1 pin Best practice core. When you can pick that well, then pull the shim back so you have a two pin practice lock. It will only turn at the control shear line, so simplifies the process.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Sweet thread. how did I miss this lol. Great advise Gordon.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:57 pm

GW - - that's cool advise = :cool:
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Just did the security strip shim trick. Worked perfect. Know I have to look for security strips along with wiper blade inserts and street sweeper bristles
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:54 am

Was the local store by any chance Target?

As someone who looks at locks everywhere, especially BEST locks your pictures jumped out at me for potentially being of a Target core. The markings, finish and keyway are what have me thinking.

Target uses locks like these: http://www.bestaccess.com/products/miscellaneous.asp (Scroll down to the section titled "4S SERIES SLIDING DOOR CYLINDER") to secure display cases containing cosmetics and electronics. The BEST spec sheet specifies the use of a 6C core, which yours is not, but perhaps that's why it was on the ground and not in the display case?

Regardless, a trick I have used for picking a naked core to control is to get a small needle-nose pliers, grab onto the back of the core with one tip on the control lug, the other on the opposite end of the core and squeeze to apply tension. Use a pick, ejector pin, paperclip or whatever is around to push on each pin through the ejection pin hole. In my experience the pins will snap right to control and in 5, 6 or 7 clicks you'll be at control.
Next

Return to BEST