FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sargent & Greenleaf Rail Road Environmental Padlock Keys

<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Re: Sargent & Greenleaf Rail Road Environmental Padlock Keys

mdchurchill wrote:
mister sour wrote:
mdchurchill wrote:Where do you pick up those locks? I've seen on ebay for around $50 a piece which seems steep for a collection lock but they look cool and I want one!

thats where my collection started. A padlock with key in good condition sells from $75-$150 depending on the rarity of the key.

Considering then that the 102 key is supposedly illegal to own that explains the price here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-EA-Sargen ... 193wt_1396

That listing has been up forever. Im surprised UPRR is not up their ass. They can track past transactions. So if you buy KEYS, they may contact you a month later.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:14 pm

mech wrote:did they take your locks and keys? dood that blows.

i had sold my locks and keys. they will have to pursue the buyer.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Wow.. crazy. Very interesting some of the things we find out in this hobby. And the Railway Police?! Haha.

Interesting, just..... yeah, interesting.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Heres the BNSF Railway Police website
http://www.bnsf.com/communities/safety- ... lice-team/
<<

Lockman4783

Familiar Face

Location: United States Fostoria,Ohio Otherwise known as the Iron Triangle

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 pm

I know for sure that the 101 key is used by Norfolk&Southern railway all over the US. CSX just uses the American H-10 Series locks for their switches.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:07 pm

I wonder if the BNSF Police are just B.S.ing you about the keys actually being illegal to own? As far as I know, the only keys that are ILLEGAL to own are the ones used by the US Postal Service for the blue letter boxes, and that's supposedly a federal offense to own or make one.

I could see that if you were caught tampering with / trespassing on railroad property and you had these keys to their locks it could be construed as intent or burglary tools, then again, I'm not a lawyer and I could be wrong.

It sounds like lockpick laws where the laws vary from state to state. In order for it to be illegal to own these certain keys in any state, it would need to be a federal law, right?

I have two of these padlocks from BNSF, and made a 105 key out of a piece of half round steel. It works great! I even showed it to some railway workers, and they thought it was interesting that I made it myself. (even gave me a small brass Wilson Bohannon [sp] padlock they used to use on locomotives!)
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:16 pm

PhoneMan wrote:It sounds like lockpick laws where the laws vary from state to state. In order for it to be illegal to own these certain keys in any state, it would need to be a federal law, right?

They have some crazy jurisdiction, if there is even a railroad near you they can do pretty much anything a regular cop can do. Even traffic stops and stuff like that. I think it's kind of like the U.S. Marshals except for the Federal part.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:19 pm

I believe its illegal because the keys are their property. Any key sold or found or given away is supposed to be returned. Like everyone knows that!?These keys can open thousands of locks because they are all keyed alike according to railway company. So retarded. Most keys have a serial number on the back and/or a company stamp such as UPRR. Seriously though, I will never help any RR "police" agencies again. Keep in mind, Ebay gave out my personal info to tgem. He contacted by email, and addressed me by name.
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:47 pm

mister sour wrote:Keep in mind, Ebay gave out my personal info to tgem. He contacted by email, and addressed me by name.

eBay can just give out personal information like that?
<<

keymaster1053

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:59 pm

to the authorities, yep. believe it or not, I've seen a letter from a lock distributor when someone tried to order blanks for these locks, that S & G stated to them "it's a homeland security issue" to sell them. and the order was refused!
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:01 pm

keymaster1053 wrote:to the authorities, yep. believe it or not, I've seen a letter from a lock distributor when someone tried to order blanks for these locks, that S & G stated to them "it's a homeland security issue" to sell them. and the order was refused!

That's kind of lame but I guess it makes sense. They should just up the security so they wouldn't have to deal with these kind of problems.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:22 pm

keymaster1053 wrote:to the authorities, yep. believe it or not, I've seen a letter from a lock distributor when someone tried to order blanks for these locks, that S & G stated to them "it's a homeland security issue" to sell them. and the order was refused!

heres my refusal for blanks
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Feast your eyes on the toughest key to attain todate! I finally aquired a pick of one. Its a 103 Environmental key and its lovely! Bout fuggin time I get to see this pretty princess!
This makes 101-107, 109 and 112 now documented!!!! Fuck yeah! Now to find 108-111 :akimbo:
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:37 am

Sorry for the late Reply,

Ebay giving out your information due to governmental security reasons. Sorry but... welcome to the USA.
That could probably never happen here in Germany it is against the law and you could easily sue them. But if they have a warrant it might be possible on the other hand the would however need a good reason for that warrant. hm.... interesting.
I would really like to buy EVERY key on Ebay now and see how they manage to get the keys back :)

Very interesting information though, thank you very much mate.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 am

Mr Sours key ring shows a couple of keys that would fall out of the lock, at the bottom of the keyring, you can see them they step off from no cut to half cut to 90degree cut on the tip and this too would not be key retaining.

this key is so big, there could be a tool with three movable flags on it to work the discs, and these flags could be more rounded so that the tool easily pulls out of the keyway

Consider that you don't need full width of the flag at the farthest edge of it, you could make a rounded flag that only touches the farthest at a single point, and the curves of the top and bottom edges would tend to cam the flags back to the centerpost, when withdrawing the tool.

such a tool would be very fast picking I think
PreviousNext

Return to Sargent & Greenleaf