FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What keyway is this Biaxial?

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:22 pm

What keyway is this Biaxial?

Ok, I'd like to rekey this beast, and possibly make a cutaway, as it's my first Biaxial. What keyway is it, and is it a restricted one? I've seen pin kits on Ebay that have six pins and a key cut for em, (usually for Classic) to rekey locks, and would like to get one for this lock. I don't have to have a key card or anything, but that would be cool. Even a used key and the pins would be fine really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Re: What keyway is this Biaxial?

No clue?
<<

keymaster1053

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:32 pm

That IS a restricted keyway. no clue as to what locksmith was assigned that keyway, you're not likely to "happen" upon the right keys. better to just buy a cyl. on ebay with keys.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

PhoneMan

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Darn, oh well, I'll do something with it, maybe make a practice lock.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:36 am

" no clue as to what locksmith was assigned that keyway"

Interesting - Are restricted keyways assigned to particular locksmiths??

Can anyone expand --- how assigned - by region , how many restricted keyways are there, process etc.

I never knew this -- than again, I never thought about it either.

I'm sure that other members of this site (non locksmiths) would be curious also.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:28 am

As far as I know, keyways are assigned by volume. For a locksmith to carry a restricted Medeco keyway, He/She must buy a minimum amount of $ worth of locks and blanks per year. I'll use round numbers for simplicity. Let's say you can buy $10 000 worth every year, Medeco may assign you a keyway that is exclusive to you in your City, another locksmith in another City may have the same keyway as yours. If you are a large lock shop or distributor and can buy $50 000 worth of Medeco, they may assign you a keyway exclusive to you in your Province/State. A large national company like the postal service that spend
$500 000 on locks/keys may get a country wide exclusive keyway. A Multi-National company like Coca Cola, that owns 300 bottling plant worldwide and buy a $1 000 000 + worth of locks and keys, may get an exclusive keyway that is worldwide...

This is not exactly how it works, there are more details/requirements to it than that, but this should convey the idea sufficiently without getting into the nitty-gritty of business red tape...

I used to work for a locksmith that had a keyway very similar to yours, It might be a C3S Kwy.

M.
<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:35 pm

I used to work at a place that had almost the same key way (or maybe it's mirror image). I probably still have a signatory card somewhere. I don't remember what the card said exactly. But, I'm sure the blank info had the keyway on there as well as the depth and angle of the bittings.

I'll dig. I always find something I thought I lost when looking for something else. The card info may be of no use but I'm curious as to what I'll dig up in the search.

Return to Medeco