FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Medeco M3 using classic pins

<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:37 am

Medeco M3 using classic pins

I have posted about this in the chat a few times so I thought I might as well make an actual post about it. To keep it short, any Medeco you come across that has a circle around the M3 means it is using classic pins. The first lock I came across like this was a mortise cylinder but in the pictures I will post it is being used on a cam lock.

I am not sure but I would guess that the Knox box uses these cylinders like the padlocks do... oh and if anyone has any of the Knox fire dept padlocks that they want to sell just send me a PM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Medeco M3 using classic pins

That is very interesting. I have never seen this before. Are they doing this to provide backward compatibility for integrating m3s into existing classic systems?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:11 pm

xeo wrote:Are they doing this to provide backward compatibility for integrating m3s into existing classic systems?

That is what I am thinking. I will probably write them an email tonight and see if I can't find out more about it.
<<

spandexwarrior

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Did you hear anything from Medeco? I could possibly see this working for cam locks (driverless) but not with normal Medeco locks. The primary reason being that the locator tab on the pins is in a different place. Also, for backwards compatibility, a key with the right geometry to operate a slider on new locks wouldn't work with keyways for the old ones (and of course, old keys without the slider wouldn't work the new ones). I can't find a good exploded view of a cam lock to check the locator tabs there, is there any chance you can take some pics of the lock you have disassembled? -Brian
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 pm

I have always been fascinated with the Knox boxes and padlocks, and wondered where you could get a padlock? (only seen the boxes on Ebay, not padlocks)
And also, what keyway do they use? I can't see it well from the pics, but I know it's not something you can get blanks for, for obvious reasons. In theory, I'd guess one could get one of these from their Fire Dept. and make a key by hand, out of brass stock but I would not advise it! (Most of the boxes are supposedly alarmed)

Now if you bought one of the Knox padlocks, re-combinated it to something totally random ie, not used by your FD, and made a key for it, you'd have a lock that would have an unusual keyway, and be quite secure!
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 pm

spandexwarrior wrote:Did you hear anything from Medeco?

Sent the email tonight so we will see.

Oh and I would take it apart but to tell you the truth... I am scared to! This lock was SO hard to get (a very long wait for one to show up) that I don't really want to screw up.
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm

PhoneMan wrote:I have always been fascinated with the Knox boxes and padlocks, and wondered where you could get a padlock? (only seen the boxes on Ebay, not padlocks)
And also, what keyway do they use? I can't see it well from the pics, but I know it's not something you can get blanks for, for obvious reasons. In theory, I'd guess one could get one of these from their Fire Dept. and make a key by hand, out of brass stock but I would not advise it! (Most of the boxes are supposedly alarmed)

I have always loved the Knox boxes and padlocks! I had to wait months for one of these to show up on eBay and I haven't seen one since then! They have three different styles of padlock you can check out on their website (I have never seen the shrouded one in the wild). I wish I could tell you what keyway but I don't really know... I can tell you that all of the Knox boxes and padlocks in your town should all be keyed alike though so getting a key from the fire department might be kind of difficult. Maybe you could order one from Knox with its own bitting?

Oh and Knox boxes do have alarms that let the fire department (maybe the police) know when one is being opened so it is probably best not to touch them to see what kind of cylinder they have!

If you were wondering what kind of padlock is under that Fire Dept cover... Here you go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Ooh, I like the lock better without the cover. I've seen the boxes on Ebay in the past, and of course you can order the stuff from Knox keyed to your fire department's key, but they're expensive! I know a factory that has one of the padlocks on their gate, along with their own padlock. It looks more like a Master "commercial grade" lock with the yellow and black cover. Most of the schools have the boxes on them, and quite a few other places too. Speaking of restricted keyways, I always thought it would be cool to have my "own" keyway that was exclusive to me and me alone, but realize it's not likely to happen unless I either want to spend a ton of cash, or get someone to make a lock cylinder from scratch, which I also don't forsee. Oh well.

That is a very cool lock nonetheless, thanks for sharing!

Return to Medeco