FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Rotating medeco pins

<<

LockManipulator

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Rotating medeco pins

So i just got the medeco biaxial and i am having trouble with the rotating pins. I even made a special hook (i cut a notch on the tip to better grab the pins) to rotate the pins but i can't seem to get the pins to rotate when i want them too. I have to rake it and hope the sidebar sets. I try and turn the pick sideways a bit and grab onto the pin and try to slowly rotate it but it doesn't want to rotate correctly, even with no tension. How should i do this?
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Rotating medeco pins

The way I learned to get a feel for it was by rotating the first pin with no tension and watching it just to get the feel of what it is doing. That's really the only tip I can give because I have only been picking Medeco locks for a few months now so I am still learning myself.

Go watch videos on YouTube of Xeo picking them, that was one of the things that helped me a lot along with his write up on Medeco locks.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:57 am

Take your lock apart. Look at the plug. Each keypin has a tab on it that prevents it from fully rotating 360 degrees. This means that you can only move it slightly. When visualizing what you're doing you need to take this into account. If a pin is rotated to the far left, pushing on its left side will rotate it to the right (as well as pulling on the right side). Rotating to center is the trickiest as you need to nudge it very very slightly. The biaxial keypins are different than the classic. The chisels are different. The biaxial has a more slanted angle and the classic has a radial centered double-angle (sorry if thats confusing but I'm lacking the proper terminology at the moment). Check pictures online... you'll learn with practice... thats all you can really do is practice!
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:58 am

i followed your advice but when i took it apart and looked at the pin as im trying to spin it, it doesn't want to move. i think this is due to the fact that there is no force on the pin pushing it against my pick so no friction or any force to make it turn as i move the pick. I can tell it turns when the spring is in but then i can't see the pin to tell exactly how it's spinning.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Try and forget about visualizing all the rotations, its really irrelevant. You should be focusing on unbinding the rotationally binding pin by changing its rotation to something other than what its currently set to. Who cares if its C/L/R? If its binding, its wrong, rotate it somewhere and test it again. Thats what I do. Sometimes literally touching the keypin very slightly will rotate it. If its trapped in a false gate you need ro release tension first.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

LockManipulator

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:15 pm

oh ok so i don't need to completely release tension to rotate if it's not in a false gate?
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Generally yeah you release tension (not all, just enough) when rotating Medeco pins.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

atticRR

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:03 pm

once the pins are rotated to the correct position will there be a different feeling? like a bit of rotation(CCW)? and releasing all tension seems like it should be OK as long as none of the other pins are molested while manipulating its neighbor. I think. I'm on my first medeco-a classic- and only have 2 pins in, 1 & 6, still cant open it. I'll keep on keepin on though...
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:30 pm

I only own a couple of this type of lock but have had success with a small offset half diamond / think they are also called gem or reach picks :offestdiamond:
Open Sez Me !
<<

fogcreature

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:48 pm

a regular (non slender) peterson gem is what i use. xeo is right, as he seems to be most of the time. they dont rotate that much, its slight as is the feedback. :longhook:

Return to Medeco