Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 am

Re: I picked another Medeco! Looking to give and recieve info.

I was romanced by the idea of the feather touch wrench, and it simply removes too much control to be reasonable. I've made a dozen "white crane" wrenches and "twisted monkey fist" picks. They are complete shit. They do not give any advantage, and require senses that border super human techinique. Can you sense which side of the knife's cutting edge is experiencing more friction than the other through the handle? They force a change against what can be a single pick controlled pattern. The whole principle requires shit luck through raking the lock like a mad man. I WASTED so much time working on tools based on this idea it makes me sick. So sick, I have reduced the flex of my wrenches to next to nothing unless my hands are numb, cramped, or I don't have any other wrench that will suffice. I like a good coiled wrench to find the point where spring tension becomes plug tension on a lock sometimes, but the springs Steven Hampton suggests are the holy grail of tension are WORTHLESS. Once you apply enough pressure to turn half a Medeco mortice with a spring wrench, you sacrifice the ability to react to the lock false setting. You take the control away. Seriously, I start with a wrench at 1 o'clock, and turn it to 7 o'clock before I achieve a tension adequate to set pins? Then I need another wrench to turn the plug because my special spring wrench doesn't have the range to do it? I'd rather spend 5 years inventing a time machine to travel back 5 years and 6 months so I could slap myself in the face for even thinking about trying it. I have a hard time believeing he opened an Assa Twin anything with the half assed method he recommended. Seriously, just whip on it with a half diamond until it opens? That's the method for EVERY high security lock? Great advice from a master locksmith. Thanks for the oportunity to vent JK.

-Tooly