FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

klom or rytan?

<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:50 pm

klom or rytan?

ok guys. i've been talking with my locksmith friend. and she showed me a pick that she uses. this was long before any talk of klom was in the community. it's rytan. i know enough about it. and i was wondering as to whether or not rytan and klom are of the same quality. and i was wondering what was better of the professional style picksets.

anyway....what i'm trying to ask is whether or not i should buy klom, rytan,or peterson. i was going to ask my friend to order it for me and i pay her right back with my own cash if i were to buy from a certified selection. also, i will be a locksmith when i'm 15. and when i buy picks i want to know what brand to buy from.

thanks guys, Jc
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: klom or rytan?

SpaceyStacey wrote:Well, seeing as I dont have ANY of those kinds, I cant really speak to the quality comparisons. I know that everyone seems to love the Kloms right now.

I know that I will eventually be getting myself a set, and I also am totally lusting after a PINK (OMGOMGOMG IMUST HAVE THEM) set from Peterson. I WILL have them... I will.

I am sure that you would have great luck with any of the sets from any of those companies.

ok thanks stacy. i hear that peterson only sells to locksmiths. redbird1983 told me. i never knew that they come in pink. well,when you get those petersons i will definately be watching. i've never had ANY experience with peterson,let alone see the handle and all that. i've only seen when redbird picked a best to the control line. and i didn't see anything. well, when you get those petersons could you show the whole pick including the handles? that way i have a better grasp of peterson.
no matter how good you are there is still room for improvement. if you keep working you will be the best there ever will be. Banned For Persistently Annoying Others After Continually Being Warned. --- Learn From His MistakeImage
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:i hear that peterson only sells to locksmiths.

direct orders yes, but they sell to resalers that will sale to the public...
such as lockpickshop.com
<<

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:05 am

The kloms are a fantastic set for the price but the rytans are of a much higher quality.

they're pretty much in the same leauge as HPC and Peterson.

Lew
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:06 am

Josh wrote:
Jc2intelligent wrote:i hear that peterson only sells to locksmiths.

direct orders yes, but they sell to resalers that will sale to the public...
such as lockpickshop.com

oh. i see. thanks. you think i can get a rytan set there too?
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:09 am

Lockylew wrote:The kloms are a fantastic set for the price but the rytans are of a much higher quality.

they're pretty much in the same leauge as HPC and Peterson.

Lew

yes. that's what i think. i like the plastic handles that it offers. i wish i could get a set.
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:10 am

Well, as anyone who has seen my most recent video, I'm not a huge Klom fan, but that only being because of my recent use of spring steel HPCs. If you don't know the difference and don't care, then the cheaper the better. It's the most I can really say.
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:42 pm

m0ose wrote:Well, as anyone who has seen my most recent video, I'm not a huge Klom fan, but that only being because of my recent use of spring steel HPCs. If you don't know the difference and don't care, then the cheaper the better. It's the most I can really say.

mmm. oh, by the way. a tip of advice for city rakes....you shouldn't pull hard on them. even though you weren't pulling hard...it was a little too hard. city rakes are very brittle,and they will break eventually. so don't give up on klom yet.
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:46 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:
m0ose wrote:Well, as anyone who has seen my most recent video, I'm not a huge Klom fan, but that only being because of my recent use of spring steel HPCs. If you don't know the difference and don't care, then the cheaper the better. It's the most I can really say.

mmm. oh, by the way. a tip of advice for city rakes....you shouldn't pull hard on them. even though you weren't pulling hard...it was a little too hard. city rakes are very brittle,and they will break eventually. so don't give up on klom yet.

Not giving up on them, I just don't like the thickness of some of them and stainless isn't my cup of tea.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:47 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:
Josh wrote:direct orders yes, but they sell to resalers that will sale to the public...
such as lockpickshop.com

oh. i see. thanks. you think i can get a rytan set there too?

i am not too sure...
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:12 pm

m0ose wrote:
Jc2intelligent wrote:

Not giving up on them, I just don't like the thickness of some of them and stainless isn't my cup of tea.

oh. stainless tends to bend sometimes. but spring steel won't bend....it'll snap. and the thickness variations i guess comes from the fact that they're meant for professionals that need to open yale,best,master,schlage,kwikset,arrow,ect. types of locks. since padlocks and door locks always have different thicknesses.
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Jc2intelligent wrote:
m0ose wrote:
Jc2intelligent wrote:

oh. stainless tends to bend sometimes. but spring steel won't bend....it'll snap. and the thickness variations i guess comes from the fact that they're meant for professionals that need to open yale,best,master,schlage,kwikset,arrow,ect. types of locks. since padlocks and door locks always have different thicknesses.

Honestly, the Klom set is good, but once you start using them the thickness really does get in the way a lot more than you would expect. Hell, my shitty Foley-Belsaw picks had more versatility per tool than the Kloms do. It doesn't mean Kloms are bad, but it's so weird to come from using two tools for everything and then move up to 20+ only to find out some of the 20+ are even harder to use and not as good as the cheap tools.

Still, like I say, for the price, you can't go wrong.
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 am

m0ose wrote:Honestly, the Klom set is good, but once you start using them the thickness really does get in the way a lot more than you would expect. Hell, my shitty Foley-Belsaw picks had more versatility per tool than the Kloms do. It doesn't mean Kloms are bad, but it's so weird to come from using two tools for everything and then move up to 20+ only to find out some of the 20+ are even harder to use and not as good as the cheap tools.

Still, like I say, for the price, you can't go wrong.

i felt the same when i first tried hpc picks... but you get used to the thickness. and really it provides better feedback as well.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:50 am

I don't have a KLOM set or Rytan - but I have 10 Peterson picks, They are quality mfg'd picks made out of very good gov't steel as they like to call it.

I also have the DCAP set - Deep Cut Access Picks which are very thin and made of very strong steel - that won't break. It'll bend and you can grab a pair of pliers and get them back into form. They are very good for reaching past hi-lo, hi-lo pin sets. They are thin enough that you can reach way into the back without pushing up on a pin that sets down below other pins.

I ordered my picks direct from them with no problem. As for this warning:

"Warning: In accordance with 39 USC Section 3002a, this site is solely for the use of Security Professionals. Only the following are permitted to purchase items from this site: BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS.

By ordering from this site, purchasers swear, attest and represent under penalty of perjury, that they are active authorized professionals in one or more of the above approved professions, and further attest and represent that they are authorized to receive products from this site through the US Mail.

We actively scrutinize purchases made from this site to ensure strict legal compliance with these requirements, and reserve the right to refuse shipment of any order that we do not believe to be lawful or appropriate.

Canadian Locksmiths please note:
Anyone purchasing lock picks or car opening tools in Alberta MUST have a provincial "Pick" License. This license is issued by the Solicitor General's office and entitles the bearer to purchase such tools."

Man, I blew past that legal disclaimer like a "Caution - Children Playing" sign in a school zone. That is just a disclaimer that puts the responsibility on you - instead of them - in case you do something stupid and get busted.

As long as you have a credit card and a legit address you can order just about anything from their site - except the bump-keys, where they may ask for your bona fides. But as far as picks go, I've never had a problem purchasing from them in two years, now.

Bottom line - Peterson tools are professional quality and you won't go wrong by buying them. They're expensive, but worth it. You will need to polish them though - but you should do that anyway with new picks to slicken them up.

BTW - If your conscious bothers you - have your locksmith friend buy them for you.

Unfortunately for me, I lost my concious like I lost my virginity - a long, long time ago....in a drunken stupor...
:twisted:
<<

Jc2intelligent

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 am

HallisChalmers wrote:I don't have a KLOM set or Rytan - but I have 10 Peterson picks, They are quality mfg'd picks made out of very good gov't steel as they like to call it.

I also have the DCAP set - Deep Cut Access Picks which are very thin and made of very strong steel - that won't break. It'll bend and you can grab a pair of pliers and get them back into form. They are very good for reaching past hi-lo, hi-lo pin sets. They are thin enough that you can reach way into the back without pushing up on a pin that sets down below other pins.

I ordered my picks direct from them with no problem. As for this warning:

"Warning: In accordance with 39 USC Section 3002a, this site is solely for the use of Security Professionals. Only the following are permitted to purchase items from this site: BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS.

By ordering from this site, purchasers swear, attest and represent under penalty of perjury, that they are active authorized professionals in one or more of the above approved professions, and further attest and represent that they are authorized to receive products from this site through the US Mail.

We actively scrutinize purchases made from this site to ensure strict legal compliance with these requirements, and reserve the right to refuse shipment of any order that we do not believe to be lawful or appropriate.

Canadian Locksmiths please note:
Anyone purchasing lock picks or car opening tools in Alberta MUST have a provincial "Pick" License. This license is issued by the Solicitor General's office and entitles the bearer to purchase such tools."

Man, I blew past that legal disclaimer like a "Caution - Children Playing" sign in a school zone. That is just a disclaimer that puts the responsibility on you - instead of them - in case you do something stupid and get busted.

As long as you have a credit card and a legit address you can order just about anything from their site - except the bump-keys, where they may ask for your bona fides. But as far as picks go, I've never had a problem purchasing from them in two years, now.

Bottom line - Peterson tools are professional quality and you won't go wrong by buying them. They're expensive, but worth it. You will need to polish them though - but you should do that anyway with new picks to slicken them up.

BTW - If your conscious bothers you - have your locksmith friend buy them for you.

Unfortunately for me, I lost my concious like I lost my virginity - a long, long time ago....in a drunken stupor...
:twisted:

hehehehehehe. they don't ask any questions? good. i was gunna ask my locksmith to buy 'em for me,but she said that she couldn't sell any picks to me unless i was a locksmith or cop.
Next

Return to Lock Picking