FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What have you picked today

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:15 am

Re: What have you picked today

Now I think I can write here, that I have picked my first lever safe lock (for small values of "safe"). It is a Willenhall CT12 with seven levers and in my case a total of two(!) false gates, which were so far never a problem. My problem with the lock is that the binding is never really strong. My last pick after reshuffling the levers was now about 5 minutes with a plain and cheap Hobbs'. This was possible due to coaching by ratlock as in Germany lever locks are not that common.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:39 am

Very well done on your first safe lock. Beware its addictive buying bigger and more challenging ones. Stuck a picture in lever locks gutted for the guys to see.

Well done.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Any suggestions for getting into lever locks?
I have picked a few but my biggest trouble is finding tools - unfortunately I don't have the ability to manufacture anything but the simplest. Are there any reasonably priced sources of various Hobbs picks for example?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:30 pm

I am using the Dino pick for all my locks so far, which were with solid stem keys. It is available e.g. here https://www.sks.co.uk/dino-2-in-1-safe-pick-set and at many other shops. I got mine from somewhere in Germany. It comes with four pick sets which can be cut down to the desired length and filed down to the desired thickness. I have also glued on a small piece of a pipe to enlarge the diameter. But there are probably cheaper tools than that available although not as widely. If you want to open hollow stem key locks, then it gets much more complicated because the diameter is then much more important. (To small diameter won't fit over the key post, to big diameter won't fit into the key hole.)

If ratlock gives and advice regarding tool, follow it.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Contgrats, MartinHewitt! I feel like we're running neck-and-neck with our chosen targets, tho I'm going to have to get back to spinning dials to catch up with you again on that front :)

I'm trying to decide what's a good followup to the S&G 6804. My original plan was to try the S&G 6824 double-bitted 7-lever, and then move on up the chain to the 6860/70/80, but I read you can't pick the 6860+ with a hobb's tool... apparently a pin & cam tool is required? Not sure if that applies to the 6824 or not. I'm curious how much more difficult double-bitted locks will be to pick, assuming they can be picked with normal tools. Any other suggestions for a good challenge?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:27 pm

madsamurai wrote:Contgrats, MartinHewitt! I feel like we're running neck-and-neck with our chosen targets, tho I'm going to have to get back to spinning dials to catch up with you again on that front :)

But lever locks seem to me more difficult than combination locks. At least until you get into 2M.

I'm trying to decide what's a good followup to the S&G 6804. My original plan was to try the S&G 6824 double-bitted 7-lever, and then move on up the chain to the 6860/70/80, but I read you can't pick the 6860+ with a hobb's tool... apparently a pin & cam tool is required? Not sure if that applies to the 6824 or not. I'm curious how much more difficult double-bitted locks will be to pick, assuming they can be picked with normal tools. Any other suggestions for a good challenge?

I have read that the 68x0 locks are very difficult, but nothing is unpickable and you can start with fewer levers. Standard safe locks here in Germany are of the double bitted key like this one http://wiki.koksa.org/Cawi_Optima_2648 . This can be opened with a Hobbs' and this is my target. But most of them have pipe keys. So I will need a different tool.
<<

madsamurai

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm curious... has anyone picked the LaGard 2200 series locks? Their key intrigues me... I think I could make a pick for it if it works the way I think it does, but I've never had one in my hand...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:20 am

I have read about a pick for the 2200. So it should be doable.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 am

MartinHewitt wrote:I am using the Dino pick for all my locks so far, which were with solid stem keys. It is available e.g. here https://www.sks.co.uk/dino-2-in-1-safe-pick-set and at many other shops. I got mine from somewhere in Germany.

Definitely seems like what I'm looking for! Hm, got a more specific place to buy it?
All I can find are 3 places in the UK. 2 only sell to actual locksmiths and 1 is Walker, which I'd rather avoid after reading about their business practices and customer (dis)service here.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:44 am

Patrick Star wrote:Definitely seems like what I'm looking for! Hm, got a more specific place to buy it?

I think I bought mine here:
https://www.zieh-fix.com/en/safe-openin ... ckset.html
They definitely sell to anyone. I think there was a UK site, where they were cheaper and which had a second set similar to the Dino which might be worth a try.
At the moment I am in the process of buying a locksmith-only book in the US. Let's see how this works via one of my lock suppliers.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Walkers are Ok.
Honest appraisel so far. lever padlocks pick set out the box dont work very good. here are pictures,Before and after modification.

And their wire pick for the fortress pre lift pick, didnt lift the levers high enough, which is a pity, as the pre lift tension tool is a good item. with a little more after care they could be good.
<<

iiFlynRyan

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Master Lock #5... twice :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:43 pm

madsamurai wrote:I'm curious... has anyone picked the LaGard 2200 series locks? Their key intrigues me... I think I could make a pick for it if it works the way I think it does, but I've never had one in my hand...

Have not picked one, but the lock works like a dial-type safe lock. But no flys. The key turns all the wheels at the same time, lining up the gates under the fence, which then falls into the gates. Guess you could think of it as being similar to an Abloy Classic, but the sidebar is the fence, which moves the bolt.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:04 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
madsamurai wrote:I'm curious... has anyone picked the LaGard 2200 series locks? Their key intrigues me... I think I could make a pick for it if it works the way I think it does, but I've never had one in my hand...

Have not picked one, but the lock works like a dial-type safe lock. But no flys. The key turns all the wheels at the same time, lining up the gates under the fence, which then falls into the gates. Guess you could think of it as being similar to an Abloy Classic, but the sidebar is the fence, which moves the bolt.

Gordon

Thanks, Gordon... that's what I was thinking. I have ideas, I think I may have to pick one up and try it.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:20 am

Here is todays pick. After making adjustments to a bangood pick.

PreviousNext

Return to Lock Picking