FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

kwickset smartkey locks

<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri May 14, 2010 5:33 am

Re: kwickset smartkey locks

Great Close-up pictures Tooly!
<<

Scrince

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:25 am

My Advice : Do Not Buy Kwickset Locks.
A spy is just a criminal with a government paycheck.....
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am

On key in knob only,I just pop out the cylinder faceplate use needle nose pliers to open. Then proceed from there. Deadbolts...are the evil twin that we all love to hate.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:53 pm

I don't think you can pop the face off of the smartkey series, I may be wrong. It would damage it also I figure.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Scrince

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:57 am

The concept of the lock isnt bad, but if you ever take one apart they are junky plastic and poorly machined metal. I have picked quite a few and the majority end up working but not as well as before. Its not that i broke them there just not very trustworthy locks after they have been picked. I have a few cylinders though maby about 5 that are still in perfect condition after multiple picks. All hail !
A spy is just a criminal with a government paycheck.....
<<

arielschoenberg

Post Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:02 pm

Every single time i picked a Kwikset Smart Key lock they always ended up not working after for some reason and now i know why. They are cheap though. The concept of the lock though I thought was a great idea how you can just make it a new key in seconds.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:06 pm

arielschoenberg wrote:Every single time i picked a Kwikset Smart Key lock they always ended up not working after for some reason and now i know why. They are cheap though. The concept of the lock though I thought was a great idea how you can just make it a new key in seconds.

You probably bent or broke the tabs on the "pins".

BTW, nice necropost. Four years, I'm impressed.
<<

Lauren

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:10 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Kwikset makes cheap locks, they always have, the minute I seen the new smartkey lock, I figured it was the same quality as all there other stuff. Home Depot pushes these locks on everybody, funny thing is, I was chatting with the guy in the lock area, and he said that the counter display has been replaced several times already because of them breaking! Alot of hype for a lock with a clever design just poor materials.

That's your ignorance if you think Home Depot pushes these locks. Are you talking about the company in general or the individual? I allow my customers to make informed choices based on what I know. Most people who work at Home Depot are not locksmiths and I noticed you said nothing about Lowes and their Baldwin line.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Lauren wrote:Are you talking about the company in general or the individual?

I'm afraid you won't get an answer. Since he's been banned from the forum.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 pm

I've never pick one , but can decode the original key with a bent paper clip, and deph keys, the cylinder is easy to get out.
<<

Slick_Pick

Post Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:11 am

Have you tried a manual rekey? I know when i pick my uptown gen3 sometimes the key dosnt work for reasons. A manual rekey seems to work for me and resets the ability to use the "smart key tool".
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:11 am

I've picked the older ones, but I've never tried the newer ones. I do have some personal comments on the newer smartkey locks though.
They generally work fine if you've got them on some kind of heated structure, but I have some issues with the one on my garage. When it's very cold outside, after the cars are parked in the garage, the snow and ice melt somewhat and make it humid. The moisture then freezes inside the lock, and the lock can't be opened with a key unless it's heated up. There's a code pad on it, and at least you can opened the lock with the code. I had a Schlage lock in there before, and it had different problems, where the mechanism that allowed the keypad to work wouldn't always open the door, so I had to use the key, which always worked. I suppose I could seal around the lock so it wouldn't get moisture in it, or put an exhaust fan in the garage to keep it drier in there.
Previous

Return to Lock Picking