FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How the blazes would I make these picks

<<

pickmonger2

Post Thu May 20, 2021 12:59 pm

How the blazes would I make these picks

Just got a new demel tool with al kinds of attachments.

Could these picks be dremeled or is hand filing the only way? Any other methods that might be used.

Craftsmen In the past had to prove their skills. They created a master's piece or masterpiece.

My nephew wants to choose this project as his metalwork masterpiece ... create measured templates buy metal stock and generate copies of these tools.

Thanks to Abroxis, my cousin for posting this.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Re: How the blazes would I make these picks

Very little that can be done with a hand file can't be done with a Dremel. And faster. Bear in mind these profiles are pretty thin in some cases. Meaning that the power of the Dremel could do some damage, rapidly! Be careful and purposeful then everything will work out as expected. Looking at your patterns though, it appears that that the "Initial" and the "Majestic" are just copies of each other. Does he want to make the same thing 3 times? He may want to design his own pick and really put his mark on things! Wish him "Good Luck!"
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

pickmonger2

Post Fri May 21, 2021 1:31 am

Thanks for your input

I have a water sprayer to keep metal cool.

The majestic and inital picks sure are close but the initial picks do not appear to me to be as skinny
<<

Spyder

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 29, 2021 4:25 pm

Might I suggest etching / erosion, similar to how circuit boards are made at home.
Another albeit old use for etching, was to make reeds for two stroke engines, a lot of the old school racers, used to make their own reeds, stainless sheet, paint, salt water and electricity, to get the rough shape and then refine ever so carefully from there. I'm sure a quick google will turn up a bunch.

Mike.
<<

mseifert

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 31, 2021 9:18 pm

I would waste your time they are a gimmick.. Not worth the cost or time to make
When I finally leave this world.. Will someone please tell my wife what I have REALLY spent on locks ...
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:52 am

I agree, they are gimmicks, a properly designed set of wave picks would be better, only 2 or 3 pick forms needed and mathematically designed to work properly.
A decent king and queen pick designed for a specific lock system is very good but they need to be designed properly not these rubbish things people like sparrows sell, they draw a wave or set of angles and think it will be a magic pick but there's a true science and design process for such picks based on pin spacing, macs and pin heights, I don't know of any commercial ones made properly.

If you must make the picks pictured a dremmel isn't the tool to use due to heat even with spraying at that width you'll over heat them, the only way to do them is possibly water jet or edm wire.

A set of arc picks simular to the ones in a falle set would be easier to make and yield better results.

Return to Lock Picking