FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What have you NOT picked today?

<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:30 pm

What have you NOT picked today?

What lock did you have a go at, but didn't manage to pick open?

I got this class 3 (by the Swedish system) lock the other day. 7 pins and pretty intimidating warding. It'll keep me busy for a while.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: What have you NOT picked today?

Got today our old company safe. It is better than I remember. I want to open it without damage, but it is a VdS class 2 electronic lock without fallback mechanical lock. So nothing really pickable. I believe I remember the first 5 digits of the 6 or 7 digit combo. I will look for fingerprints on the keypad. Maybe that helps to guess the remainder. If not or if I remember the PIN wrongly ... I don't know yet.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm

mrdeus wrote:What lock did you have a go at, but didn't manage to pick open?

Taking a break from another project to work on an ASSA 700 at the moment... totally kicking my ass currently. I thought I had gotten kinda decent at the 700's after sitting down with a new one (fresh out of packaging) and picking it in one go the other day, but apparently some of them still pack a punch :)

I got this class 3 (by the Swedish system) lock the other day. 7 pins and pretty intimidating warding. It'll keep me busy for a while.

These are actually made by DORMA. I assume they look like the DC500 inside, in which case it's essentially an ASSA 700 clone. They are not 100% up to the evil of the real 700, but still very fun.

By the way - in case you don't know how the SSF/SBSC "class" system (SS-EN 3522 / SS-EN 1303) works, it's pretty meaningless when it comes to pick resistance.
"Class 3" basically means that they poked a bit at it and it didn't open, so it literally covers stuff that takes 2 minutes to open as well as 2 weeks.
Higher grades than class 3 just specify higher resistance against force.
<<

Tok36

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:47 pm

I have been fighting a few of these for a while with very little luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 am

Patrick Star wrote:These are actually made by DORMA. I assume they look like the DC500 inside, in which case it's essentially an ASSA 700 clone. They are not 100% up to the evil of the real 700, but still very fun.

By the way - in case you don't know how the SSF/SBSC "class" system (SS-EN 3522 / SS-EN 1303) works, it's pretty meaningless when it comes to pick resistance.
"Class 3" basically means that they poked a bit at it and it didn't open, so it literally covers stuff that takes 2 minutes to open as well as 2 weeks.
Higher grades than class 3 just specify higher resistance against force.

Thanks for the info on the lock! I kind of figured that the "class" wasn't entirely relevant, but I've found that for cheap/non-brand padlocks the certified ones have more security pins (or have disc detainer cores). I bought another 7 pin cylinder that was unrated a few months back, but it turned out to have all standard pins and could easily be raked open, so I figured the rating would increase my chances of getting a nasty lock :)
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Beat the damn 700!

So... hardest ASSA 700 yet...
...for some reason, since the bitting (which I hadn't seen before picking it - I don't even have the key) isn't very extreme:
Well, half an excuse atleast: Pin 3 (from tip of key) which has a high cut is a mushroom cloud pin with countermilled chamber, so easy to over/underset and/or drop others when trying to convince it to go to the right height. Pin 3 from the other end, also a high cut, is a bit tricky too - needs a fine tool and gentle hand to avoid triggering the torpedo pins before it.

Aah - the mysteries of the ASSA 700!
<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 am

Patrick Star wrote:Beat the damn 700!

Well done! :) I haven't made any progress with the Elite. I haven't spent that much time on it, but the warding is what's causing me problems at the moment. I usually come at locks from the bottom with a thin hook, but it's difficult to navigate around the warding on this one. Set a few pins, but mostly by accident :P
<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:22 pm

"Well, there's your problem" :mrgreen:

I took a look inside (by key). I'm glad I recently bought some core shims or it would've been a mess. I think this is a few steps above my current level :shock:
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Oh hell... lol... Yeah, that's quite a spread.

Prolly good you took a look.
It may feel like cheating, but
that's the best way to learn!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Patrick Star

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Oh, serrated pins, interesting and somewhat unexpected. That means it's not identical to the DC500 like I thought.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:51 am

Sargent padlock, 6 pin RB keyway. Came with 2 blanks, it's not 0 or 1 bitted. Need to open so I can rekey!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

mrdeus

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:39 am

Oldfast wrote:Oh hell... lol... Yeah, that's quite a spread.

Prolly good you took a look.
It may feel like cheating, but
that's the best way to learn!

Yeah, I was butting my head against the wall becuase I have never run into serrations that deep or cores with a lip on the pin holes. I was tricked into believing that the pick was getting caught by the warding and that I couldn't reach high enough from the bottom, but it turns out (now that I reduced the number of pins) that I can even use a .018 hook from the bottom. Don't even need .015.

jeffmoss26 wrote:Sargent padlock, 6 pin RB keyway. Came with 2 blanks, it's not 0 or 1 bitted. Need to open so I can rekey!

Are you trying to impression the key or is the core removable?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:26 am

Removable core. Screw under the shackle.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:06 pm

This one's got me flummoxed... and I don't use that word often. Schlage Kryptonite padlock with SC1 keyway (KIK core). It's almost embarrassing, as it's just a 5-pin with all standard drivers and I've picked locks that are technically so much more difficult. The tolerances in this thing are pretty impressive, no slop whatsoever. The main spring is strong and the rotation is a bit sticky even after lubing it up. Worst of all, the keyway itself seems more "extreme" than all of my other SC1 locks... all of my Schlage C keys fit in it, but the warding overlaps more than the other Schlage locks I have, and it's tough to get a pick in there without working at an angle (yes, even my .015s).

DSC02256.jpg
DSC02257.jpg
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:58 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Sargent padlock, 6 pin RB keyway. Came with 2 blanks, it's not 0 or 1 bitted. Need to open so I can rekey!

have to Put that on my wish list. Nice one
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
Next

Return to Lock Picking