FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sargent Keso question

<<

Patrick Star

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:50 pm

Sargent Keso question

So, I was picking a Sargent Keso when this happened:
snafu.png

The plug rotated quite a bit but won't go any further.
It's probably not obvious from the picture but it has moved several degrees from its starting position.
All(?) pins feel solid, like they are pushing against the outer shell and not the top pins, stopping at different heights, just like you'd expect from a picked lock that has started to turn.

What has happened here? Have I simply missed some pin(s) and it's just me being stupid from not being used to multi-row pin tumblers?
Is there some small secondary locking mechanism / profile control I'm missing?
Did it break? It seems free to move back to the closed position, though I haven't let it move all the way back in case this is just some stupid easily fixed problem remaining before it's fully picked... This lock has acted up a bit before but did open with a key.
I've experienced dimple locks getting screwed up when turning them without a key, but not this early in the rotation :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:39 am

Re: Sargent Keso question

show us the back of the cylinder. you might have picked it to control if it is a removable core that should be in a mortise housing, which it could be looking at it now.
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

Patrick Star

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 am

Ah, yeah...
back.png

The "extra lug" there means it's an IC core, right? As in, it's what keeps the core in the housing unless it's in control?

This is in the locked position, by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Patrick Star

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am

So, it's not going into control... The control lug remains in place.
These locks are not dual shearline. Instead there is a single pin in the back that engages the control lug. Operating keys simply don't have a tip with the right shape to push it.
If I push that pin up after picking the rest (counter-rotating the core slightly in the process), the control lug is unlocked but there is very little rotation of it. This does not happen otherwise unless the operating key is inserted so at least I seem to have picked the entire thing.
I have tried it both CW and CCW with the same results (though when picking CW the whole part about the control lug should be irrelevant since it's rotated CCW to put it into control).

It's almost like the rotation gets stuck at the point where it'd either pick up the control lug or just keep turning the tailpiece, but there's absolutely no way I am gutting this thing to find out (or rather, absolutely no way I would be able to get it back together afterwards).

I am wondering whether there's some pin/slider that has to be pressed down before any rotation is applied...? Or is my lock just FUBAR - it doesn't open reliably with the key unless it's held at a slight angle (some spring being crappy, perhaps...?)

Ideas, anyone?

Atleast it's a damn fun pick up to the time it gets stuck! :)

Return to Lock Picking