FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I'm so disappointed!!! ABUS 83/45-200 Z

<<

johnopsec

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:30 pm

I'm so disappointed!!! ABUS 83/45-200 Z

I got two ABUS 83/45-200 Z locks in today. I'm *so* disappointed! Thus far, I'm averaging about 20secs to SPP them with my best time being under 15secs. Ya... I know... Everyone wants video. I'll get video up when I find the video camera. I moved to a new house in May so, I'm not sure where the camera is yet.

These locks have either spools or mushrooms in them. I'm not sure. I was a bit pissed when I pulled the plug and found that it was only 5 pins. Maybe that's a KW1 keyway thing... I'm not sure. When I looked at the ABUS documentation on the 83/45 series, it said that they were 6-pins.

I ordered these from Taylor Security & Lock in Maryland. I didn't want them 0-bitted as they come stock so, I asked them to key them identical. That they did but, they only sent one key. That upset me a bit as well. I bought two locks and they send one key. What gives?

Oh well... I was hoping these would be harder to pick than my Brinks with the KW1 keyways but, they're as easy if not easier.

Is this normal for the 83/45?
JohnOPSEC
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: I'm so disappointed!!! ABUS 83/45-200 Z

johnopsec wrote:I got two ABUS 83/45-200 Z locks in today. I'm *so* disappointed! Thus far, I'm averaging about 20secs to SPP them with my best time being under 15secs. Ya... I know... Everyone wants video. I'll get video up when I find the video camera. I moved to a new house in May so, I'm not sure where the camera is yet.

These locks have either spools or mushrooms in them. I'm not sure. I was a bit pissed when I pulled the plug and found that it was only 5 pins. Maybe that's a KW1 keyway thing... I'm not sure. When I looked at the ABUS documentation on the 83/45 series, it said that they were 6-pins.

I ordered these from Taylor Security & Lock in Maryland. I didn't want them 0-bitted as they come stock so, I asked them to key them identical. That they did but, they only sent one key. That upset me a bit as well. I bought two locks and they send one key. What gives?

Oh well... I was hoping these would be harder to pick than my Brinks with the KW1 keyways but, they're as easy if not easier.

Is this normal for the 83/45?

]ohn, i have picked more than a few ( i own like 12or so) 83 45' and it really boils down to the cylinder...they are so generic ,they can be retrofitted with nearly any common keyway,plus a few hi-sec ones...the LSDA SC4 cores carry 6 pins, and there is a pic of the stainless steel spools over in "photos of security pins"
i have 5 variations of cores,they ALL carry spool pins..(the actual ABUS core is my favourite.)
i feel your frustration. too..i am getting to the point where i can rake most of them open ,in one rake using the backside of my shorty.
(and i used to be SO intimidated by these locks...)
and now i share your disappointment....
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

johnopsec

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:45 am

It's gotten bad... I went into ACE Hardware during my lunch break the other day and started popping the locks in their "High Security" display at random. :twisted: They weren't very happy with me. :D

Where can I buy "just the core" for these? If the price-point is right, I'll pick up some other cores and see what I like best.
JohnOPSEC
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 pm

johnopsec wrote:It's gotten bad... I went into ACE Hardware during my lunch break the other day and started popping the locks in their "High Security" display at random. :twisted: They weren't very happy with me. :D

Where can I buy "just the core" for these? If the price-point is right, I'll pick up some other cores and see what I like best.

heh...well, lets see what type you would pick ...here are a few different types i own,
and it is quite possible i have an extra core, (i will have a dig thru my stuff..)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<<

johnopsec

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:53 am

I haven't picked any SC keyways (that I remember) yet. No ABUS style keyways either. Which do you think I would be happier with? The SC keyways I'm sure will take some getting used to with most of my experience being with KW1 and Brinks keyways.
JohnOPSEC
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm

johnopsec wrote:I haven't picked any SC keyways (that I remember) yet. No ABUS style keyways either. Which do you think I would be happier with? The SC keyways I'm sure will take some getting used to with most of my experience being with KW1 and Brinks keyways.

well schlage would be the most versatile,i guess,as far as repinning goes...(as well as a bit of a challenge.)

Return to Abus