FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just received my Abus 34/55

<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Just received my Abus 34/55

I just received my Abus 34/55 (N.Y.C.H.A.) bought it on ebay for $10, couldn't believe it, this seems to be one seriously tough lock, i cant pick, doesn't look like it could be easily broken either, the box shows it rated a 10 out of 10 for maximum security, i have to say this is probably my first real high security padlock, i am having a hard time dealing with the heavy spring tension on the core and the keyway is causing me trouble too, tried with my standard short hook and also with a slimline short hook mostly however they are both due to be replaced, might see if i can do any better with my half diamond
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HT4

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Just received my Abus 34/55

Two suggestions: 1- a number seven hook in .015 is perfect for these locks. 2- spring tension definately makes things more difficult. I find it much easier with a VERY firm TOK tension tool. I had to make one for the Abus keyway.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Sweet lock. I have one and lovvve it, so much that I want another one but dont want to pay the $10 shipping again. Maybe HT wants to join in so we can both get 2. If you buy 2 it comes out to 15 each as opposed to paying 20 each.

Sorry back to the lock, not to toot my own horn but this lock seems pretty easy to me. The only problem was the Y1 keyway which has always been a problem for me. I used BOK and it worked fine. The spring is very strong and I think probably the strongest out of all the locks I have played with but thats a huge plus because once you master picking this lock spring tension will never be a problem again.

HT how much bigger is the 7 hook compared to the gem? I find my to-go is the gem but you make this 7 seem like gold.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:41 pm

i have picked a couple looks with strong spring tension on the core, still not the best at those ones, but i cannot seem to set more than a couple pins with that damn keyway, just placed an order at peterson, included the number 7 .015 pick, a gem in .015, and a deep access "lifter pick" looks like a short hook with a notch in the tip of the pick and no taper to the shank, figured this might help me with rotating medeco pins
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:01 pm

Second one I got from across the pond. It's a different core, and drill protection. Is mine German made Abus? Jeff Moss has the other I had.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

HT4

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 am

Papa Gleb wrote:Sweet lock. I have one and lovvve it, so much that I want another one but dont want to pay the $10 shipping again. Maybe HT wants to join in so we can both get 2. If you buy 2 it comes out to 15 each as opposed to paying 20 each.

HT how much bigger is the 7 hook compared to the gem? I find my to-go is the gem but you make this 7 seem like gold.

I have 5 of these locks so I'm set... I'm not too attached to them though, and you know that I'm always open for trades. You know what I like. Any ideas? If so, email me.

The 7 and the Gem are exactly the same height, but the seven curves up more sharply and has a thinner profile making it far better for picking through the holes in warding and dealing with difficult bitting. Also, I'm not a fan of the sharp tip of the Gem... I'd rather having something meatier the engage the pin. Just my preference.

image.jpeg
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:42 am

Thanks for such a detailed write up. I have been loving the sharp tip of the gem and over all. When I need to use the standard hook Im like an elephant with a pen. I have 2 0.15 Gems, I may just shave a bit off and make a 7 or place an order with Peterson as I need to refresh my set a bit. I want to make a .15 off set diamond. Love that pick but it barely fits into the locks Im picking.

Return to Abus