FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Assa Twin Combi

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:55 am

Re: Assa Twin Combi

Received my Twin Combi locks last night (Big thanks, Puritanen! )

Was able to field strip it easily without shimming! On the back above the plug retainer there is a tiny flat-faced screw. Take this out, and you will see that it goes the whole length of the cylinder, and takes the place of caps or screws to keep in the springs and pins. E-A-S-Y. Then take out the plug retainer screws and slide the plug out the front. Be careful the finger pins do not launch across the room!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Puritanen

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Received my Twin Combi locks last night (Big thanks, Puritanen! )

Was able to field strip it easily without shimming! On the back above the plug retainer there is a tiny flat-faced screw. Take this out, and you will see that it goes the whole length of the cylinder, and takes the place of caps or screws to keep in the springs and pins. E-A-S-Y. Then take out the plug retainer screws and slide the plug out the front. Be careful the finger pins do not launch across the room!

Gordon

I'm feeling very stupid now..... :oops: I should have checked the back of the lock before using the hacksaw (well, thanks for the info, Gordon).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am

Don't feel stupid, Puritanen. We ALL have lots to learn. That is one of the reasons we are here.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Hey Gordon, could you please show us a picture of said screw? I'm not sure I got what you mean, or I have a different lock.

edit: I just added a picture of my lock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Puritanen

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Hmmm....now I have had the time to check quite a few of my Assa twin combi, but all looks like femurats. What kind of lock did I send you, Gordon :D ?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Exactly the same. On Femurat's picture it is all the way to the left. That tiny brass one.

Gordon
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Excuse the size. Not at home, so I can't resize it.

Gordon

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 pm

There's a screw in that little hole? I see a line that looks a light reflection on a cylinder, but it may be the screw groove. I don't have a screwdriver small enough to enter that hole, I'll dig out one of the small precision ones and try to undo that. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers :-)

Edit: that definitely is a screw. I've never seen anything similar! Great job my friend.
Last edited by femurat on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Have pics of the whole field stripping that I was planning on editing and posting tonight. Working off my iPhone at the moment, so it is harder to do.

Gordon
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:42 pm

huh, i never noticed that screw. My screw is sunk into the back of the lock unlike yours for some reason and it definitely looks like a flat headed screw but when i put a screw driver up against it, it can't find the groove in the screw! Even while looking at the screw the screw driver just glides right over it as if the groove wasn't there? :?: Any thoughts on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Mine had a lot of dirt in it. Used a dental pick to clear it out before using a screwdriver. That might work for you.

Gordon

Edit: Or the head/threads of the screw are broken off. The threads are only for two or three turns. The rest is just a straight rod.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Mine had a lot of dirt in it. Used a dental pick to clear it out before using a screwdriver. That might work for you.

Gordon

Edit: Or the head/threads of the screw are broken off. The threads are only for two or three turns. The rest is just a straight rod.

Upon close inspection, it seemed to be filled in with super glue. I can't reach the screw without encountering an invisible barrier and when i tried to clear it of dirt, there were scratch marks on this clear solid stuff. But then i read your edit and now i think the head did break off since i can see the threading in the screw chamber and the "screw"/"straight rod" is below it.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Then try lightly drilling to remove the glue. Then you might be able to rap the back of the lock on a block of wood to get the rod out.

Good luck,

Gordon
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 am

My lock has no screw. Looking in the small hole you think there's a screw with a vertical groove, but it's just the reflection on the last chamber cap. I also see the hole is threaded.
I think there are two options to close these locks. One is the usual caps, the other is the rod that Gordon found.
Looking at the picture of his lock from the top I noticed there are empty holes and you can see the rod that keeps the pins and springs in their chambers.
Looking at my lock from the top I see the usual caps. Sorry I don't have my lock at the moment, will post a picture tonight.

Cheers :-)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:37 am

I wonder if they come 0-bitted from the factory using that screw and the screw is removed and replaced by caps when the lock is combinated. Then the locksmith who set up this particular lock decided against caps for some reason (ran out?) and put the screw back in. Any ASSA dealers here who might know?

Gordon
PreviousNext

Return to ASSA/Abloy