FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Abloy Protec Euro

<<

barbarian

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Abloy Protec Euro

A few pictures of the insides of an Abloy Euro profile lock. This lock is really two separate locks back to back. We can start by driving out the little pins with a suitable tool. There is a dimple on one side and that’s the side you want to push on. The other side has little teeth to grip the hole. Both the pins and the joining bar they go into look like they are made from hard steel. This would help prevent drilling or snapping the bar. Once the bar is removed there is nothing holding the plugs and all the components in the body of the lock, so be very careful they don’t drop on the floor.

Euro1.jpg

join.jpg

The tail piece itself is quite a piece of precision work. There are a series of holes around the outer edge of the part in the center. You can depress the little spring loaded plunger and index it differently. The other little piece moves when you insert the key in the lock. The tip of the key touches the piece as its being inserted in the lock and pushes it about 0.080 of an inch (2mm) in the direction of the key. This motion causes the tailpiece to be connected to the cylinder with the key in it and disconnected from the other one. This way either cylinder can work the lock. The piece stays in position until the key is inserted from the other side.

tail1.jpg

On the discs there are a bunch of false notches and a series of little teeth that are used in the blocking system. The two little round bars that those teeth mesh with are only 0.047 of an inch in diameter, same as the thickness of the sidebar. There are also a bunch of brass looking spacers and some non magnetic shiny colored ones. The disks themselves have a raised portion on one side and a corresponding depression in the center of the side shown.

disks.jpg

The plug itself is a work of art. Very precise and covered with intricately machined steps and surfaces. I would like to know how many separate machining operations there are to make one of these plugs. My pictures couldn’t show all the details.

plug.jpg

The disk controller is pressed together at the factory and I didn’t want to take it apart. You can see on the front view there are spring loaded steel balls that prevent rotation of the lock unless the key is fully inserted. Once the key is turned 90 degrees, it is this disk controller that transfers torque to the plug. There are two protruding tangs that fit in corresponding slots in the plug. If the disks are properly lined up then the sidebar can drop into them and the lock can open. If the disks are not lined up then the sidebar prevents the lock from opening. On the back surface of the disk controller you can see the press marks that hold the pieces together. With the key inserted you can see how the key would be held in the center of the disks as it is inserted. This would prevent wear or damage to the disks and key.

DC_front.jpg

DC_back.jpg

Key_in.jpg

Abloy makes very nice locks. It’s difficult to fully appreciate how nice everything is until you hold it in your hands. It’s built like a watch or a piece of fine jewelry.

Now I need to try putting it back together..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: Abloy Protec Euro

awsome pictures man
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:54 pm

very very cool pictures! damn complicated looking lock...amazing how it all works. Thanks for the great pictures!
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

bouncer965

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:29 pm

WOW nice pics man. Nice lock. Even more nice if you get it back together in the right order :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965

Return to ASSA/Abloy