FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

HELP? abloy protec key won't turn smoothly

<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:02 am

HELP? abloy protec key won't turn smoothly

Not a picking question, but could use ideas.

My employment uses abloy protec, and the exterior front door has become very temperamental. Sometimes it works fine and others it has trouble relocking. The keys aren't worn significantly. I could probably swap the cylinder from another less used lock but I'm trying to find the easiest path. I get the feeling I'm going to have to swap cylinders, but maybe there's a maintenance thing I'm not thinking of.

I'm guessing the locks are at least ten years old. Do they wear out?

Any advice on lubricant? I think someone used silicone or WD40 at some point so graphite is probably a bad idea at this point. Maybe it just needs a flush with cleaner
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom
<<

6275LA

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:13 pm

Re: HELP? abloy protec key won't turn smoothly

I assume that since this is the front door, lots of keys operate it in the course of a week. While each key only operates it a few times per week, if everyone operates it with their own key once a day, then you have lots of times where the cylinder is operated compared to the amount of use each individual key sees. Since the cylinder operates way more often than any one key does, it makes sense that the cylinder will wear out faster than any one key. Even if Abloy cylinders have no springs, the parts do still rub against each other and will wear down with use.
<<

Visitor

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:11 am

If wd40 has been used it could now need replacing, wd40 is the destroyer of locks. I would flood it with a ptfe based lubricant (I use gt85) and see if it improves it.
The only real way is to strip it down and service it properly or indeed change the cylinder.
A cylinder change may be cheaper than a locksmith callout for a lockout who will then change the cylinder anyway.
<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:26 am

I fortunately have the same handles inside as well. Looks like the easiest path is swapping the whole handle since it's not a KIK.

I'll try to flush it, but I have no desire to gut and clean a disk cylinder that is in service. Pin tumblers are one thing, but I can see gutting a protec going VERY PEAR SHAPED. I know I can do it, but Murphy's law is like one of the commandments.

Thanks for the input. I knew what the answer would be, just hoped there was something I might not have thought of
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom

Return to ASSA/Abloy