FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

GSA and other government locks

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:36 pm

GSA and other government locks

I'd like to see pics of your locks or at least see the different types of locks the US Government (and other governments too) use to secure classified and secret stuff. I know the Kaba Mas X series fits this bill, as well as Sargent and Greenleaf. What are some others, and what makes em secure?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Re: GSA and other government locks

Some of the criteria for a GSA safe locks are resistance to manipulation, a minimum number of possible combinations and many other things. The standards have changed over the years, so the locks that meet the specifications have changed. There is even a KABA Mas X-10 lock! It is part of the new standard. Release of the lock has been halted by our illustrious government's inability to pass a budget, so the governmental agencies can not purchase them. KABA has decided not to release the X-10 to the public until after the government rollout. GSA safe techs can go to Kentucky and get the training on servicing and installing the X-10, but the rest of us just have to grin and bear it. Well, maybe not grin.

Have two locks of the type that have been used for GSA safes. Have an S&G 8500 thanks to fgarci03 (great guy! Even better friend!). This is a mechanical safe lock. Will take pics of it and do a write-up soon.

Also have a KABA Mas X-07 that was removed from a GSA safe when a friend of mine upgraded it to an X-09. Have taken pictures of the parts, but not the assembly.

Also have pictures of a KABA Mas X-09 that belongs to ARF-GEF, and another X-09 lock body that was destructively entered. The pictures I will post of that last one will not demonstrate the method of entry, but I could take it apart and photograph the various components, demonstrating how they work. These X-09 pictures will be going into another of my write-ups.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Look forward to it Gordon! very cool!
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:38 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Some of the criteria for a GSA safe locks are resistance to manipulation, a minimum number of possible combinations and many other things. The standards have changed over the years, so the locks that meet the specifications have changed......
Here's a Mosler 302. For some time I beleive these were used on many GSA safes. But just as Gordon mentioned,
the specifications have changed over the years. So I don't think these meet the current specifications any longer.

P.S.
GWiens2001 wrote:....Have an S&G 8500 thanks to fgarci03 (great guy! Even better friend!). This is a mechanical safe lock. Will take pics of it and do a write-up soon.
Lookin' forward to seein' that Gordon! I still haven't mounted mine yet.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Blacky

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:41 pm

safe in hotel has Kaba lock, it is black and "Paxos" on it.

VERY big safe and good lock I think :ugeek:
<<

PhoneMan

Post Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 pm

thanks for the info! Oldfast, that 302 looks scary! they were serious about stopping manipulation attacks!

Return to Hi-Security Locks