FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

UrbanAlps

<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 pm

UrbanAlps

Came across a post on this in another forum this evening. Does anyone know any more info about it? Maybe how the internals of the lock work or where to buy one from?

http://www.urbanalps.com

Looks like a novelty to me and it might have won awards but its no good if the lock its is made of Swiss Cheese.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Re: UrbanAlps

Having read several, this link is definitely the most detailed outline of this key I've seen. Still waiting to see a more thorough explanation of what 'mechanical elements contained within the key' actually means, though...
<<

Mitchell s

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:25 am

The FAQ says there will be a kick starter late this year, with possible entry into some European markets in 2016.

I want one in a Padlock!!! :drool:
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:55 am

Very cool. Definitely would love one. No doubt about it.

Love the "almost impossible to duplicate" claim :D Which one is it? Impossible or possible? :D

Some insight into the internal of this key can be seen in the second vid in the article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHklHDW0ZhY

It's very cool to see a new system coming out that's not dependant on an electronic element or authorisation, but still I do wonder how susceptible such a closed key would be to dirt, grit, or even pocket fluff/ junk. The key looks dead chunky too. Which is always a big user turn-off.

Very cool. Many thanks for sharing that.

I bet there's locksport guys working flat out to obtain a few examples, and work out a vulnerability to this tech. No doubt. They'll nail it soon enough with something totally cool, I'm sure.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:58 am

Very very interesting. Glad that startups are innovating on mechanical lock systems (instead of boring iterations of the patent-hoarding, oligopolistic companies).

Couldn't imagine how secure the lock would be against physical attack... I imagine that there would be a weak point in the lock with a thin "pole" interacting with the hidden track??
- David
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
<<

Patrick Star

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 am

Sorry for the necro, but this was mentioned in the latest Economist.
So, is there any more information about the internals of this lock somewhere? From the looks of it it's some sort of slider lock?
I must admit I do like the idea of a key where the code is completely hidden... good against photos and spooks with binoculars, though there are of course already keys where you at least don't get the full code from a single 2D shot.

Atleast I admire the balls showing 3KS and Protec as some of the "old, crappy, easily copied" keys they mean to replace in the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHklHDW0ZhY :)
<<

madsamurai

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Interesting design... looks like they spent a lot of money on marketing. To me, the more buzzwords, hype and fear a company puts behind it's product, the less likely it's something great, but who knows? You can pre-order a padlock now... It's made of "super-alloy" (or high-strength stainless casting steel, depending on which bullet-point you read), and it's all alien-looking, so the 970€ price tag is almost certainly justified. http://www.stealthpadlock.com/

Sarcasm aside, it does look like an interesting mechanism... I agree with MrA, seems like the enclosed key might get clogged with pocket gunk. 3D printing tech should mean a whole new world of possibilities in mechanical lock designs, hopefully this is the first of many to come.
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Right. It feels off. The entire site is based on derision and focused on high price tags or courting investors. The wording and reasoning just does not sound like it came from co-founders that both have doctorates and piles of accolades. The wording and justifications feel more salesman trying to strike it rich than highly-educated.

Anyway. There are several designs. The one presented on their main website looks like spring loaded pivoting tumblers where the key interface is on the sides. Basically a bent dimple design. They have so many it would be hard to say which one they are using currently. Have some images from their patent applications:

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/ ... 2016162363
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/ ... 2015051475

Edit:
Found some gutshots from our German friends:
https://koksa.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20985
<<

Patrick Star

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Somewhat weird that they decided to design and manufacture a padlock body as well. There are already plenty of good ones if they just make their cylinder in one of the standard formats...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm

But a standard one wouldn't look expensive enough. Honestly, with such a price tag I would hope the thief steals the bike and not the lock.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

madsamurai

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:But a standard one wouldn't look expensive enough. Honestly, with such a price tag I would hope the thief steals the bike and not the lock.

lol... I was thinking the same thing... for the price of the lock I could probably replace anything I have to protect twice and still save money. Find it strange they're marketing towards residential customers with such a high price. From what I've experienced so far, most people generally won't go for anything more expensive than hardware store locks...

Return to Hi-Security Locks