FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

German vault broken into

<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:25 am

German vault broken into

I would like to see the bigger story when they peace more details together, the stuff movies are made of.

http://youtu.be/KknJ5725nUg
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 am

Re: German vault broken into

Man I thought something like that would never happen again!
Reminds me of Julius Adolf Petersen of the Brothers Sass.

Also two interesting videos but in German:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXJU6re69IM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu1VTdMRt-o

The tunnel seems to be 45 meters long and the bank robbers laid fire to burn their evidence. DNA and fingerprints could be recovered though. A robot had to check the tunnel before they could get in. The tunnel began at a parking lot and the parking place was being rented with false papers. The safe deposit boxes are insured up to 5000€ and if you want to insure something that is more worth you have to insure it furthermore. Also worth to mention that the tunneling process was obviously not being noticed because of the main street above it (lots of traffic). The robbers either had not enough time or were being interrupted by something because only 1/3 of the deposit boxes had been opened.

Interesting that the did not have a vibration sensor because modern vaults have such a vibration sensor which will detect any kind of intrusion attempt on the walls. This sensor can also be calibrated to detect several kind of intrusion attempts.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

Simply amazing what people will think up. I wonder if it will help searching for that kind of drilling equipment needed to cut through the concrete wall. Probably rented with false papers, too, though.

Anybody want to put down money on a movie within 2 years?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

They used a core drill, big one!
<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

I would think the walls to the vault would be thick concrete and then possibly metal? Seems like it would take many hours just to boar into the side of it. And cutting concrete is nosy I wonder if they had to run the drill at lower rpms.

Someone with mining experience?

I dove by a bank that was being built down the street from where I lived everyday and the amount of rebar and concrete they put into the above ground vault was crazy I would imagine that most vaults would be somewhat similar.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:13 pm

They are :)

Imagine the sand and dirt they had to remove from down there, like 60 vans full of dirt.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm

They are :)

Imagine the sand and dirt they had to remove from down there, like 60 vans full of dirt.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Dicey.... was this vault made with some of your Germanese steel? :lol:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Probably :(

To be honest there might have been an old Bode Panzer safe in there and even with a lot of steel in the concret walls and special concret material. With enough time and the right core drill and also the right setting on it you will get through sooner or later.

As said before the safe may didn't have one of those vibration sensors. But then again this is only speculating and the police will never tell anyone what "exactly" went wrong. This would give some bad guys to much infomation. I could also get more into detail but I won't for security reasons.
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:10 am

Dicey was definaty in on it and judging by the police whitness sketch so was Rosie o'donnell
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:27 am

hell... i dont want to see the hole lets see the carnage in the vault, and it was 61 vans one to take the loot away in. :stupid:
Watch the sale in safes go up in berlin if they,ve got anything left to put in them... poor sods , get a good secure safe bolt it down and lots of alarms and secure locks thats a novel idea.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:42 am

spaglieri, the usual suspect

just googled spaglieri, google has never heard of the bank du midi in nice france

the guy was famous, especially because he escaped after he was caught and couldn't be caught for years, he was protected by some of his foreign legion cronies.

this is famous in france,

.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Spaggiari#Life_in_hiding

I just remember the spelling different.
<<

Josephus

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Youtube tells me the video is unavailable. Pity, I really do enjoy treading through what made public case files I can find on large jobs like this. Did it show any signs that they added cobalt chips, copper sheet, plastic or metal weave to the saferoom walls? Was it polycrete or similar? I have yet to see what many of these look like or how they behave once breached.

It is often very hard to find information like this. It always feels like people go through great efforts to hide such embarrassments. I have this sneaking suspicion that bank, vault, and integrated safe physical security is similar to their information security. I have heard too many horror stories of horrendous IT Sec practices that financial institutions rely on when they really should know better.

Return to Current Events